+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: SPOTFIRE new interconnect review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Alan.

Default SPOTFIRE new interconnect review

Let's set the scene, here we have a new interconnect so I set up a 3 way review with a couple of others I have.
    Anyone who has heard my system recently will know it is very revealing.

The set-up. Signal provided by ZYX R-100 → Vivant phono stage → Interconnect on test → KIN line stage → Dual Mono hybrid power amp → ESL57.

Call me a bit of an agnostic regarding cables, I have heard improvements but it's probably my tight-wad status that lets me down from hearing greater improvements.
    The more I learn/design/listen only goes to prove more and more that everything in this game matters for ultimate performance, components, cables, connectors, valves, cases, layout, isolation etc.

First cable is a Mogami 2549 with Rean RCA plugs. This cable is very similar to the Klotz cable but in my view slightly inferior.

Second is a bit left field, two runs of the AmazonBasics 3RCA Component Video Cable. This is no longer available but does present a very low capacitance interconnect. The plugs do give a very nice grip to the corresponding sockets.

Third is the new SPOTFIRE interconnect from Bigman80 of this parish. This pair has a prototype sheath but does have some of the best RCA plugs available. To me they look like one of the best designed RCA bullet plug and have a great feel when mated.

I started with the Mogami to set the stage, playing the Toy album from Yello, one I know very well and superbly engineered. Excellent sound stage, nothing missing or highlighted, a solid performer.

Then onto the AmazonBasics, a very very similar sound with perhaps a slight more tinkle at the top end. This is a 1.8m interconnect but has lower capacitance than the other two 1m pairs. Certainly one to keep as a long spare, particularly considering they only cost me £3 from a charity outlet.

Finally plumbed in the Spotfire and oh my giddy aunt!
    It was like someone had flicked a 3D switch, there was an immense depth and precision added to the sound. This was just swapping a cable, unbelievable .

Played a few tracks and then put the AmazonBasics back in to check. Yep the image went back to 2D, well not completely flat but what a difference, quick get the Spotfires back in.

Talk about an immersive experience, the soundstage is truly sensational. There is a phasing effect on the track 'Lost in motion' that with the AmazonBasics sort of mushes around the head but with the Spotfires goes right through your head. I was getting goosebumps on tracks I've heard many times before.

I played a number of albums, particularly Queen Greatest Hits II. This recording can sound a bit 2D, certainly nowhere near the Yello production quality but with the Spotfires was giving depth previously unheard.
    This was definitely a 'must re-visit the vinyl collection' moment. Shirley really appreciated the sound too.

The upgrade given by these cables is like doubling the price of the rest of the gear. If your kit is anything like capable you need to try these new interconnects. I don't know where Bigman80 has found the secret stash of pixie dust but it's premium quality. I think Spotfire must be a play on words, but they are spot on and the fire comes from the greater emotion you feel from the music.

The full price of these Spotfire cables is £180 for a 1m pair, but Oliver is such a nice fella he might well negotiate.

Fab-u-lous. These are keepers.

As always with different kit and systems YMMV.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm James.

mmm... will have to have a listen to the SPOTFIRE. I will try and borrow one from Oli and compare it against my VEE3

I am actually looking for a new TT to phono IC at the moment so this could be interesting.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    mmm... will have to have a listen to the SPOTFIRE. I will try and borrow one from Oli and compare it against my VEE3

I am actually looking for a new TT to phono IC at the moment so this could be interesting.
    Hi Jimbo!

You are welcome to borrow a pair for trial mate. There will be a pair available in a week or so.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Hi Jimbo!

You are welcome to borrow a pair for trial mate. There will be a pair available in a week or so.
    Excellent I will pick a pair up from you hopefully soon!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Excellent I will pick a pair up from you hopefully soon!
    Ok, I'll let you know when they are available.

As Alan bought the prototype ones, I need to get more cable

Bigman80 Guest

Thanks for the review Al. Knowing how hard it is to get you to part with money, it says everything that you actually bought a pair

Seriously, I'm blown away by these cables.

A bit of info :-

Cable,

OCC Copper

100% shielding

Plugs,

KLE Harmony silver plated Copper

I chose these due to their outstanding conductivity and construction. They are my personal choice for RCA.
    Last edited by Bigman80; 23-02-2018 at 21:53.

I'm Gary.

Pleased Oliver has found great KLEI RCA's that compliment his cable.

I'm Brian.

Nice one Oliver . Sounds like you're on to a winner here . I'll have to get a listen to these at some point

Thanks for the review Alan .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Nice one Oliver . Sounds like you're on to a winner here . I'll have to get a listen to these at some point

Thanks for the review Alan .
    There will be a pair with Mikey, hopefully end of next week. Ask him for a lend when he's done.

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    There will be a pair with Mikey, hopefully end of next week. Ask him for a lend when he's done.
    OK mate will do .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast