+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2018

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    Justin,
    Glad to hear that you liked the R2R, even if the music may not have been to your taste. The TEAC A330SX is in fact a pretty standard consumer R2R machine - nothing fancy at all. If you thought that was good, then you'd love a proper studio machine
    Charlie
    I'm really scared to go down the R2R route as I know Id spend a fortune on tapes.

What was really evident was how compressed the (admittedly very basic) record deck + phono stage sounded by comparison.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I'm really scared to go down the R2R route as I know Id spend a fortune on tapes.

What was really evident was how compressed the (admittedly very basic) record deck + phono stage sounded by comparison.
    It's just one of those things. I'm sure most would love a decent R2R but then get stopped because of the list of impracticalities.

Anyway Charlie, it was Tom that made the positive TEAC R2R comment, not me.

I'm Justin.

Bad boy bass and AV time with the JL Audio g213v2 don't you know. Playing the movie Unbroken, cos that's got guns and bombs in it that go boom! and bang!

Great salesman in here, I thought, passing around a 213 driver so people could feel its weight. He just had a good, enthusiastic attitude.

And for a 360 degree sonic assault the room did well, with the 213 performing boomlessly and in a controlled manner. Whether you could actually stand and hour or two of constant banging and dynamics is something that crossed my mind, but it is certainly quite thrilling to begin with.

Good sub I reckon.

I'm Martin.

That is a cool looking sub. What are they asking for it?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That is a cool looking sub. What are they asking for it?
    Google sez $12,000 so £12,000 I expect.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post

I wonder how much they'd be charging to replace those monster foam cone surrounds in about five years when they fall apart? Probably a 'new driver' situation.

I'm Martin.

A little bit spendy. Not surprising it was good then.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

OK let's do a quick bloody dreadful. Mission. As confirmed by an old acquaintance by the name of George, just shite. If anyone hears this room sounding anything better than rubbish, let us know

I popped in this room twice, as I had to double check because it sounded so bad the first time. If a loudspeaker could ever catch a cold, that's how they sounded, bunged up, nasely with no definition or anything - I don't even know what they were playing in there, as the life had been sucked right out of the music!

Very disappointing as a previous all Mission/Cyrus system owner with fond memories. Nobody in the room either, in fact on the second visit, not even the Mission staff were there, I guess they gave up too - not sure what the heck they got wrong, but it was pants.

Those JBL's in the Primare room were great, loved the sound they were producing and thanks for the tip about the top floor, no-one there when I arrived at 10:30

Really good day, not been for around 10 years - superb sound in the Nordost room, with all Moon Audio gear and ProAc D30R speakers. Both Spendor rooms were producing the goods too, very impressive sounds from needle floor-standers (D7 & D9).

Off to bed, might post more later . . .

Oh, I love GWG music
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Almost forgot, those Quad ESL-2912's . . . . OMG

Could have spent a few hours listening to them, just gorgeous in every way and all driven by a small 75W all-in-one amp/CD/DAC/streamer box serving up file based audio. Even I was surprised at how capable it sounded

Artera Solus
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Phil.

if any lovers of tannoy are there today there is a separate event

this weekend at the Future Inns Hotel Bristol.
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast