+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Expert stylus - any good?

I'm Paul.

Default Denon 103SA

Having had various incarnations of the Denon 103 over many years amongst other favoured cartridges I would always eventually move them on as none really cut it in my set up.

Alas, yet again a 103SA came my way and supposedly the best incarnation of the breed, but again it fell short and back in the box until I decided to get the Paratrace treatment as the last stand in owning one as a keeper.

The service was good and I had my cartridge back in approx' one month and upon auditioning I was shocked wondering what Mr Hodgson had done to it.

This was no minor shift in sound or balance but a fantastic leap in clarity and imaging.... No longer is it the bridesmaid against other cartridges in my arsenal but can hold its own in all departments....

Well Mr Hodgson currently has my Ortofon Cadenza Bronze for the Paratrace treatment and I await its return even more so now.... Especially after having a conversation with him informing of BendBound's delight in getting his Black sounding so great.

I'm Justin.

Actually that's a good point.

You're gonna get a Paratrace so why not send in a cheaper MC cart for a Paratrace. Chances are it'll be a significant upgrade I reckon but whether it is worth the charge rate is the question.
    Last edited by User211; 21-06-2019 at 10:45.

I'm Charlie.

ESCo rebuilt two 103s (103C-1 and standard 103) for me earlier this year - both with their sapphire cantilever and ultra low mass paratrace. The 103C-1 is playing in my second system and it is stunning. I chatted to Wyndham for 15 minutes discussing the best options for this cartridges and a vintage Ortofon SL15Ell (I had a paratrace retip for this) - so helpful and brilliant service for very reasonable money.
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Kai.

I *might* be looking into retipping my Ortofon MC10 Supreme ... What is the approximate cost for a sapphire/paratrace retip these days? Do they offer other tip options on sapphire cantilever? I guess I could email them but I'm not really even in the kicking the tires phase yet

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by BendBound View Post
    I've just had my Ortofon Cadenza Black MC phonograph cartridge retipped by Expert Stylus. On the original cartridge, I had 800 hours of use, clocked with a hand counter, all played on VPI or ultrasonic cleaned records. At about 700 hours I noticed distortion, sibilance, and others who knew my system did too. Based on a recommendation from James Henriot of Whest Audio, I inquired with Expert Stylus and a few days later I sent my cartridge from the US to them in the UK.

Once they examined my cartridge, they issued a written report, stating that the tip was "badly worn". They recommended a retipping with their Paratrace design, among a few other options. I went with their Paratrace option. This required shortening the cantilever by 0.5mm, which served also to reduce its mass.

Ms. Julia Thompson handled most communication. She was timely, informative, and keep me up to date. It took, in my case, about 8 weeks, more of less to get the cartridge back. And some of that delay was because I asked lots of questions on the front end. Also, Mr. Wyndham Hodgson is a busy man, and I sent my cartridge to him prior to Easter when he had scheduled some leave.

I got the cartridge back a few days ago and played straight away—once I got the alignment dialed in—a few of my favorite records. I was blown away by the sound. Okay, I admit, I don't have great of auditory memory from two months ago. Straight up, I don't. I had installed during the retip, an Ortofon 2M Black, which is honestly quite good. What stood out most to me on the retipped Cadenza Black was the detail as in decay of notes, and in the soundstage as in soundspace of the room. Just wonderful. I am really pleased with every aspect of service from Expert Stylus and I recommend them without reservation.

If my experience is normal, I give Expert Stylus retipping services an A+, a 10 on a 1-10 scale. Ms. Thompson and Mr. Hodgson were polite, accommodating of my questions, and most professional.

A job very well done.
    Just my personal curiosity, but how long did it take to clock up 800 hours of playing time? That is a lot of music!!

Russell

I'm Paul.

Default Re-tip cost

A healthcheck report if you do not go ahead is approx' £45.00 and if you give the go ahead then approx' £320.00 to £360.00 inclusive depending on the configuration with the Paratrace (aluminium/sapphire/boron).

This is all depedent on the healthchech not reporting issues like coil damage etc.

Jah guide
    Last edited by Miller; 01-07-2019 at 12:20.
    EMT 930ST
    Garrard 301/3009 MK1
    Micro Seiki MR-711/MA-202L
    Stax SRA-3S MM phono amplifier
    Nagra BPSv2 phonostage
    BigBottle BB3 Phonostage
    Telefunken Bv.42-01 Transformer
    Hashimoto HM-3 Transformer
    Braun CC4 Transformer
    Ortofon Spu Synergy
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Miyajima Waza
    Denon 103SA
    Audio Technica AT33 Mono
    IFI Pro Linestage
    PYE HF12 KT66 Monoblocks
    Uchida Sun Audio SV-300BE
    Quantum Electronics 202D
    Marantz 1060 Integrated
    Western Electric Line Transformer
    Yamaha CDR-HD1500
    Tannoy 15" Bespoke

I'm Rob.

Newby here, sort of. You guys have much better systems than I do!
    I am lucky enough to have 2 NOS shure vn35MR stylie and a couple of normal v15 type 3 stylie. I'm seriously conciddering having one of them paratraced, but I got a paratrace on an m44-7 years ago and thought it was awful! probably the cartridge's fault and I'm not entirely sure what made me do this as I knew going in I didn't like the cartridge!
    So I suppose my question is: is it worth getting a paratrace tip as a backup?
    I have delt with the slow but lovely folks at ES co as they did a bunch of 78 tips for me and I know their work is of good quality and lasts a while, I'm more concerned about sound quality here.

I'm patrick.

Default Linn Akiva

Just got my Akiva back from ESC after 3 weeks. Very happy with the service and price £310. Most importantly I'm very happy with the sound. Obviously I can't really compare with original before rebuild but my feet are tapping & I'm looking forward to playing lots of LPs. The owner seems like a real gent and great to deal with.

I'm Lloyd.

Hi all,

I’m coming up by the end of the year I’d guess to needing to replace or re-tip an Ortofon Quintet Black S MC, as it’ll be up to around 1200 hours by then so whats the thoughts about using Expert Stylus to do their thing or use the Henley audio Ortofon trade in where they “give me” a £235 value against a new one at £875 , from what I’ve read the all new option will be getting on for twice as expensive after the trade in compared to the re tip assuming my cart itself is ok.

. so being this the first time I’ve needed to think about getting in a replacement cartridge in over 30 years (I’ve had a few TTs over the years but each time they came along I started with a new cart and I moved on before needing to replace the cart, but now I’ve got my keeper TT) I’d appreciate your thoughts good folks on which way to jump as the difference is a lot of records

Any and all thoughts appreciated
    A widower finding solace in music

I'm Paul.

Personally I can only go by my experience of the Paratrace and ESCO's work but for me a no-brainer in sending to them... The nude Shibata stylus is obviously excellent but so is their Paratrace profile and more money for music makes it a win win for me.
    EMT 930ST
    Garrard 301/3009 MK1
    Micro Seiki MR-711/MA-202L
    Stax SRA-3S MM phono amplifier
    Nagra BPSv2 phonostage
    BigBottle BB3 Phonostage
    Telefunken Bv.42-01 Transformer
    Hashimoto HM-3 Transformer
    Braun CC4 Transformer
    Ortofon Spu Synergy
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Miyajima Waza