+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 71

Thread: Hi-Fi Cock-ups. What's Your Biggest Disaster?

  1. #11
    Join Date: Jul 2009

    Location: Hampshire, UK

    Posts: 2,318
    I'm Buriedunderaloadofturntables.

    Default

    Setting the output stage bias on a 1980s B&O Beomaster 5000 receiver - multimeter probe slipped, touched another component and bang - output transistor fried.

    In my defence, you do need three very small hands to do this with ease and I know of better people than me who have done exactly the same thing!
    Adam.

  2. #12
    Join Date: Sep 2014

    Location: brighton uk.

    Posts: 3,465
    I'm jamie.

    Default

    Running 4 Ditton 44ís through my amp! Then silence lol
    My System/ Yamaha NS1000M speakers ,Pioneer PLC-590,Sony TTS-8000 turntables,Pioneer PA-5000 and PMAT-1010 Tonearms,AT-ART 7 Cartridge,Denon HA-500 Head Amp, John Wood KT88 Valve Amp, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp,Sony X555ES CD Player,

  3. #13
    Join Date: Oct 2015

    Location: Pulborough, West Sussex, UK

    Posts: 974
    I'm Ian.

    Default

    " Improving " a SME 3009 arm by fitting decent RCA sockets instead of the old 4 pin unit and managing to break a tiny wire hidden in the depths of it. The upside was I sent it off to J7 for a rewire and it really was much improved, albeit with a price tag.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/Musical Fidelity X-DAC/Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Amplifier
    Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer
    Cables
    Klotz MC5000+MS Audio/Sommer Carbokab+MS Audio/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 A

  4. #14
    Join Date: Mar 2016

    Location: Barnet, london UK

    Posts: 1,055
    I'm Adam.

    Default

    I used to DJ back in the early 1990's, a venue I played at had ceiling 'swing mounted' deck platform (swing being a platform of wood on chains to the ceiling) on it, 2 x Technics SL-1200s and a mixer in the middle. The DJ booth was up high from the dance floor...

    Half way through the evening pretty worse for wear on very Exotic Woodbines and Alcohol, I bent down to sort some records out, on straightening up managed to upend the swing platform with my shoulder and the resulting two Technics SL-1200s and a mixer ended up 15ft below on the dance floor in what can only be described as a ferkin' chaotic mess. Everything had literally exploded into a million pieces on impact.
    I kid you not it looked like a Modern Art installation!

    My short lived DJ career never recovered!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

    Vinyl: Garrard 401, Russ Collinson 'shindo style' plinth / Tenuto gun metal mat / SME-3012 j7 rewired / audio-technica ATP-12T - phonomac modified / Ortofon Vintage SPU GTE /Shure M3D / Ortofon Royal N / Cartridge Man Music Master with isolator / Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Vintage GE VRII mono / Amps: Radford STA25 mk3 / David Coe AD Audio 'Satchmo' pre & phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / Digital: SW1X Audio Design DAC 1 signature / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC custom crossovers / Cables: Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture sapele rack

  5. #15
    Join Date: Jul 2014

    Location: Shropshire

    Posts: 2,035
    I'm Anto.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    I used to DJ back in the early 1990's, a venue I played at had ceiling 'swing mounted' deck platform (swing being a platform of wood on chains to the ceiling) on it, 2 x Technics SL-1200s and a mixer in the middle. The DJ booth was up high from the dance floor...

    Half way through the evening pretty worse for wear on very Exotic Woodbines and Alcohol, I bent down to sort some records out, on straightening up managed to upend the swing platform with my shoulder and the resulting two Technics SL-1200s and a mixer ended up 15ft below on the dance floor in what can only be described as a ferkin' chaotic mess. Everything had literally exploded into a million pieces on impact.
    I kid you not it looked like a Modern Art installation!

    My short lived DJ career never recovered!
    Great stuff !!!! Just the sort of ham fisted thing I am capable of!
    Not equipment ruining but associated -
    I made myself a diy RCM ,and found a quite nice original vintage copy of The Wizard of Oz ,soundtrack Vinyl lp , the vinyl was quite pristine but dusty and dirty as hell , so after careful soaking and cleaning , accompanied by some diy red wine disposal , I bent down to pick the lp off the plater without turning it off . The record came up on the twist ,grabbed the spindle and the whole thing was scrawpted against the edge of the metal platter leaving a horrible line all along it !!
    Plus the fact the LP belonged to the wife !! They go for £40 usually
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

  6. #16
    Join Date: Feb 2010

    Location: Berkshire, UK

    Posts: 3,248
    I'm Tom.

    Default

    Demoing a Krell KSA100 with my monitor golds. Not sure quite how it happened but there was a spark at the input, followed moments later by a smell of burning paper ... left side went D.C. and had caused a 15 in Tannoy cone to go up in flames from the centre like the map at the start of Bonanza.

    £600 for a double re-cone at Lockwoods (to keep the drivers matching) about half covered on house insurance. Ouch. Thankfully the voice coil was fine.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers with Tannoy ST25 supertweeters; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 9 inch and Ikeda IT-407 12 inch tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Takumi, Ikeda 9TT, SAEC/Excel C3; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912 + Miyajima ETR-Mono SUT; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

    Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Pass Aleph 'Mini'; tube preamp - Gate Audio tube; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 Mk I tonearm and vintage Ortofon SL-15e with matching Ortofon 2-15k SUT; Phono Stage from Gate Audio preamp; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink.

  7. #17
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 36,841
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Half way through the evening pretty worse for wear on very Exotic Woodbines and Alcohol, I bent down to sort some records out, on straightening up managed to upend the swing platform with my shoulder and the resulting two Technics SL-1200s and a mixer ended up 15ft below on the dance floor in what can only be described as a ferkin' chaotic mess. Everything had literally exploded into a million pieces on impact.
    I kid you not it looked like a Modern Art installation!
    That's bloody hilarious!! Unfortunate, but definitely hilarious!

    I also had a huge DJ'ing disaster. I may describe it later. (and I mean huge, the carnage was monumental )

  8. #18
    Join Date: Mar 2016

    Location: Barnet, london UK

    Posts: 1,055
    I'm Adam.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    £600 for a double re-cone at Lockwoods (to keep the drivers matching) about half covered on house insurance. Ouch. Thankfully the voice coil was fine.
    Ouch!!!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

    Vinyl: Garrard 401, Russ Collinson 'shindo style' plinth / Tenuto gun metal mat / SME-3012 j7 rewired / audio-technica ATP-12T - phonomac modified / Ortofon Vintage SPU GTE /Shure M3D / Ortofon Royal N / Cartridge Man Music Master with isolator / Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Vintage GE VRII mono / Amps: Radford STA25 mk3 / David Coe AD Audio 'Satchmo' pre & phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / Digital: SW1X Audio Design DAC 1 signature / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC custom crossovers / Cables: Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture sapele rack

  9. #19
    Join Date: Oct 2015

    Location: Pulborough, West Sussex, UK

    Posts: 974
    I'm Ian.

    Default

    Not a hifi disaster but audio related. We were playing a gig at The Richmond in Brighton, there was a large house PA with their own engineer so we only had to supply the backline. I had a really nice Ampeg combo that was perfect for the job and we were having a great gig until I got an electric shock through the guitar strings, I was somewhat " startled " by this. It didn't happen again so I carried on. Two thirds of the way through Won't Get Fooled Again I got another belt and then another and needless to say I stopped playing much to the consternation of the rest of the band. I ended up DI-ing to the desk and couldn't hear a bloody thing. Never found the problem with the amp, ended up swapping it for a Vox Teardrop bass, god I wish I still had that and yes I did tell the new owner what had happened, he never mentioned it so I guess it was fine. Weird.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/Musical Fidelity X-DAC/Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Amplifier
    Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer
    Cables
    Klotz MC5000+MS Audio/Sommer Carbokab+MS Audio/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 A

  10. #20
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 21,981
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    Not a hifi disaster but audio related. We were playing a gig at The Richmond in Brighton, there was a large house PA with their own engineer so we only had to supply the backline. I had a really nice Ampeg combo that was perfect for the job and we were having a great gig until I got an electric shock through the guitar strings, I was somewhat " startled " by this. It didn't happen again so I carried on. Two thirds of the way through Won't Get Fooled Again I got another belt and then another and needless to say I stopped playing much to the consternation of the rest of the band. I ended up DI-ing to the desk and couldn't hear a bloody thing. Never found the problem with the amp, ended up swapping it for a Vox Teardrop bass, god I wish I still had that and yes I did tell the new owner what had happened, he never mentioned it so I guess it was fine. Weird.
    Wasn't it Eric Clapton who got a belt off of the mike stand at Live Aid? I mean I know Live Aid was a bit of a lash up but even so it shouldn't really be able to happen.
    Martin



    Current Lash Up:

    Technics SLP1200 CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *


    'This is the sort of music I'd be listening to if I was going shopping for a training bra.'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •