+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had 50 grand

I'm Charlie.

Peter,

Yes indeed, but it's enough of a faff lining up a 2 track machine (1/4 or 1/2 inch) let alone a 2 inch 16/24 track recorder. If someone gave me a stack of half inch or quarter inch 2 track tapes, I'd be over the moon. Clearly no chance of ever seeing the original stereo mix down, but production copy would do very nicely, thank you.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    Reading your answer.... brings me back to to good days. However, for me a 2” master tape machine would be the dogs. “ if only, “a” !!!

In the days of analog of courses!!!!

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I was just thinking the same.

I'd bank the fifty grand and just spend the interest.
    that wouldn`t get you far !!!!
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Russell.

With 50K I could build a dedicated listening room, AND make some major upgrades to my stereo! And buy a bunch of new albums! And still have 10% left over to donate to my favorite charity.

Russell

I'm Peter.

It was happy days ...... 2” was the business. Almost the digital age........

Peter

I'm Charlie.

Sadly so much of it (esp in the USA) was on Ampex with what proved to be sticky shed. I'm an easy man to please - a decent dub from a production tape or a production tape will do for me. I'm glad that some artists have started going back to tape for their recordings - so much better than Protools

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    It was happy days ...... 2” was the business. Almost the digital age........

Peter

R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

montesquieu Guest

Easy. Kondo M-77 preamp and spend the change on a SUT to go with it.

I had the Kondo in my system for one all too brief evening and it was a game-changer - I learned that evening just what a truly exceptional preamp can bring to the table.

My EAR 912 is far from shabby indeed it's the best pre I've heard in my setup at least apart from the Kondo, beating a tubed Kondo M7. But if I had £50k burning a hole that's where I'd spend it.

Edit: just to add I'm happy to answer the OP's question in the spirit in which the question was posed .... since no-one is **actually** going to give any of us fifty grand to play with, none of us need to get into any kind of virtue signalling/moral olympics about it - this is just a bit of fun.
    Last edited by montesquieu; 12-02-2018 at 22:48.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Easy. Kondo M-77 preamp

<snip>
    +1 I recall there was a Kondo room at Munich last year - mightily impressed. Can't recall what speakers they were driving (probably ANs).

But if I were to spend £50k I would dedicate £20k on a proper room and the balance probably around MBLs or something similar. Or maybe a Tannoy centred setup. But I would run out of cash ....
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    +1 I recall there was a Kondo room at Munich last year - mightily impressed. Can't recall what speakers they were driving (probably ANs).

But if I were to spend £50k I would dedicate £20k on a proper room and the balance probably around MBLs or something similar. Or maybe a Tannoy centred setup. But I would run out of cash ....
    I've already run out just thinking about it..!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Grant.

fairly happy with my cheapo efforts. probably get a bigger tv tho Might soundproof the room too and fix car up then give my daughter and son some.
    My system has some great memories and its value is in that for me, and it sounds pretty decent too to my old lugs wouldnt start buying expensive gear as 50k wouldnt cover it, lets face it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dennis.

Now, despite my social/financial status of 'Class E', I have more money for Hi-Fi than ever before, and having just bought very expensive speakers, can compare them with my own design attempts at 1/20th the cost, and the difference is not massive. I also have what to me are state of the art pre and power amps, though not quite up to the Benchmark standards.

Certainly the law of diminishing returns applies, and this raises questions about cost benefit analysis, and also how much more enjoyment can be obtained from well loved recordings, many of which are not current.

If I had to I suppose I would research and take an educated plunge into what seemed to be the best bet at improvement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast