+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Calling Ammonite Accoustics ....

I'm stuart.

Default Calling Ammonite Accoustics ....

Hi Hugo, Have you seen this VTA adjust for the Jelco 750, would be interested in your thoughts?

http://purusaudio.pt/easyVTA.html

I'm Hugo.

An interesting idea that looks to be well-executed even if the enlarged base would probably not fit on a Techy and maybe the lowest height setting for the arm is compromised by the addition of the plate that holds the micrometer. I am asked every now and again if I would consider doing a VTAF collar for Jelco arms, but the design and manufacturing costs are (for me) prohibitive and getting bigger as each month passes; and frankly I don't think that the likely demand justifies what would, for me, be a significant investment. VTAF is a nice selling point in theory but in practice most people set it once, then leave alone; it only takes minutes to adjust the height of a Jelco tonearm with my improved collar which has a nice smooth, non-grabby action. For the VTA obsessed, the old playing cards trick offers a cheap and repeatable way of gauging arm height changes for different LPs.

I wish this chap well, but the last people (in Canada) who made a VTAF support for Jelco arms are no longer in business.

I'm My.

That's a nice balanced response AA. I enquired but it doesn't look like it fits a NAS due to how the adjustment sits on the collar.

I'm stuart.

Thanks for the response Hugo, I'm surprised they can make something like that, sell it for £90, and make a profit. It does look to be well engineered and would certainly make life much simpler when changing carts but I'm worried as to how accurately it holds the arm compared to the Ammonite collar - I don't want to be taking a backward step on azimuth just to get vta on the fly

I'm Hugo.

Another factor that might matter in the real world is the height of the micrometer, which might prevent a turntable lid from being closed. Not all decks have lids, of course.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

I thought it looked good and was reasonably well thought out and presented from the limited info on the video, anyway as I have an array of different carts of various heights I thought it worth ordering, which I have now done.

Andy
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Mel.

I have this on my Techie

http://www.audiomods.co.uk/technicsarm.html

It fits and works well though I have to say once the novelty of fine VTA adjustment wears off you rarely use it unless you changes carts regularly.

Mel

+ Reply to Thread