+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A little (surprise) history of my speakers (Lockwood Majors)

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Not everyone loves big Tannoys.
    I think what has been happening in speaker development over the last 55 years is substantial advances in driver, crossover and cabinet materials and technology, resulting in the reduction in resonances and general colourations.
    But to some extent throwing the baby out with the bathwater. It's a subjective hobby at the end of the day. If people really cared about resonances and colouration no-one would be using vinyl anymore. They only care if the resonances and colourations make the sound bad, and that's not always the case. Whatever the reason, for me the old designs have something the new designs lack (except in the cases where the modern speaker is an old design using the latest tech - JBL for example).
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200P CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'This is the sort of music I'd be listening to if I was going shopping for a training bra.'

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

Surprisingly few people have actually heard a good pair of big Tannoys.

VERY true indeed....

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Whatever the reason, for me the old designs have something the new designs lack (except in the cases where the modern speaker is an old design using the latest tech - JBL for example).
    Probably 'cos new ones are designed from behind a keyboard by somebody looking at graphs instead of actually listening to them.

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Aesthetically, I like your room, but don't you get neck pain from watching your tv at that angle/height. Ergonomics is a much neglected issue in hifi and audio-visuals. I managed to fracture my spine doing building work as a student so have to ensure I do not exacerbate the problem. Spending much of my time in front of a pc doesn't help. I have reduced the problem by buying a 32" 4K AOC monitor, which is vertically adjustable. I have it so that it is level with my eyes two thirds down its height, and angled so that the top of the screen is forward inclined. This means I am looking very slightly upwards, and the plane of the screen is parallel to me. I also bought an Ikea Markus office chair. This has very good lumbar support, but most importantly, is fully height adjustable so that my knees are at a right angle when I am working. An extra plus, though not really ergonomics, is that the monitor settings allow for reduction of uv for good eye health.
    Thanks for your comments

No, the middle of the TV screen is at face height when sitting so I think the photo's are distorting things slightly. I used to have my TV higher but I found I got a pain in my neck too, too low also did the same after a while.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I love the recessed positioning which avoids the dominance of large speakers in a room to a great extent.
    I also wonder when you eulogise them, what has been happening in speaker development in the last 55 years.
    In terms of positioning, Dennis, that's the beauty of big Tannoy DCs, in that they're one of the few genuinely large speakers that don't need to be used in free space; in fact they sound notably WORSE that way ('phat' and boomy in the bass - yes I know, the opposite of what you'd expect), and best when placed up against back walls, and even into the corners of rooms.

The net result being that they look LESS obtrusive in rooms than some speakers a quarter of their size, especially stand-mounted designs, needing to be used in free space, as the stands themselves make the whole package look rather 'bulky' and intrusive.

In terms of speaker development, in the last 50-odd years, yes there has been significant technological development and some genuine advances, but none so far I've heard that combine into a complete speaker package, which would make me swap my Lockwood Majors for it. I hear certain things that the best of today's designs do very well, but musically as a whole, not for me. As ever, with any audio component, especially loudspeakers, it's about achieving the right balance of compromises.

The main thing that usually scuppers things for me, is I like using 15" drivers, in large wide-baffled cabinets (as I enjoy the effect on music, in terms of 'heft' and scale) - a style which is about as fashionable now as people having decent manners....

I agree with Marco about large TVs dominating rooms these days, but music has taken a downturn...
    Indeed. Few things are uglier, IMO, especially when plonked onto a large stand, which is sat in between the speakers of an otherwise 2-channel music system...

We had to think long and hard before buying our conservatively-sized Sony 46" flat screen TV, as our lounge is traditionally decorated (being part of a lodge dating from 1887), as it could stand out like a sore thumb, among various antiques and traditional Welsh dressers, etc.

However, we managed to wall-mount it into a dark-ish corner of the room, so that it was as unobtrusive as possible. We enjoy movies, and so wanted to build a modest home-cinema system, which allowed us to do that to a reasonable standard. However, our inglenook fireplace and wood-burning stove will always be the main focal point!

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

I'm Martin.

When I saw the photo my first thought was that it was unusual to see the TV mounted at a sensible height rather than high up on the chimney breast in the spot where most people used to put a mirror. That works for a mirror because you are standing up when you use it. You shouldn't have to look upwards to watch a screen, though.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200P CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

'This is the sort of music I'd be listening to if I was going shopping for a training bra.'

I'm Grant.

it will depend a lot on how high your seats are as well. low seats, lower position. mine is a little higher than eye height as its behind the tt
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D DARBEE - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/EMOTIVA XPS1/12V BATTERY - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP\WE TUBED - TWIN AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTHS - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER24, SPOTIFY - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - RPI/AUDIOPHONICS/VOLUMIO/5V BATTERY - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN/Q ACOUSTIC BT3/CANTON SUB - P.INSPIRED MAINS REGENERATED.

I'm Josie.

Looking lovely, Marco.

Such a nice feel to your room.

If I could, (and if it wouldn't crick my neck) I would mount my TV above one of the speakers in an alcove. I'm not a fan of central TV's. But I don't think it can be done TBH.

The speakers fit really nicely and love them to bits. I can't think how I could ever sell them.

The scale, the sweetness, the dynamics, the bass the 'feeling' is all there, totally encapsulated and (when pushed) can really punch it out with no loss in timing or clarity. I've never had them distorting or having them smear sounds/layers. To paraphrase, once your in the zone with them they are monsters, and they are really... really great fun. They make music a very emotional and enjoyable experience.

In layman's terms, I likes em, a lot.

There... that's me said and I didn't use any of the typical HIFI phrases. Maybe I should be a hifi journalist... lol

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, but ALL speakers are coloured to some degree, Jerry darling, including yours!

So, in the final analysis, all we can do is choose our favoured form of coloration, or that which least offends our ears, and live with it, if otherwise we enjoy the noise that our speakers make

Btw, let's bear in mind that this is Jo's thread, where she's just posted pics of her pride and joys in situ in her new house, and no doubt would prefer the discussion to be centred around positive comments, so let's not turn it into an anti-Tannoy thread crap

Marco.
    Yes yes yes yes & yes. (Or however many are needed to agree with all your points).

And apologies to Jo for it would seem kerapping on her thread.

But, the internet has been criticised (rightly so, imo) for allowing people to control their web feeds such that they are only receiving input from sources that align with their own points of view.
    It's common on AOS, for example, for folks to live in such Tannoy Bubbles and Turntable Bubbles, feeding on each others' enthusiasms.
    I think diversity of viewpoint should be celebrated and welcomed.
    But on a thread such as this, in a limited and polite fashion.

But yes, I have heard big Tannoys "done right" (at Paul RFC's and Tom's places, for example, and Marco's at Scalford). And they still aren't for me.
    Jerry

Qobuz 16/44 streaming, Topping D30 DAC with lpsu, Herron VTSP-2 valve preamp, Trigon TRE 50M monoblocks, MBL 116F speakers.

Cables: Wireworld Starlight USB, Ixos Ixotica i/c, W&M speaker cables, Belden 19364 mains cables

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Looking lovely, Marco.

Such a nice feel to your room.
    Cheers, Jo. It's important for us to have a comfortable space to relax in and enjoy, not only the TV, but the rest of what makes that space *our* home, if you get what I mean? So the 'vibe' that the room creates is important

The scale, the sweetness, the dynamics, the bass the 'feeling' is all there, totally encapsulated and (when pushed) can really punch it out with no loss in timing or clarity. I've never had them distorting or having them smear sounds/layers. To paraphrase, once your in the zone with them they are monsters, and they are really... really great fun. They make music a very emotional and enjoyable experience.
    I completely concur, as I feel the same about mine. For me, it's simply how they succeed in making the whole process of enjoying recorded music in the home so 'effortlessly immersive', such that one's attention is always on the music, not on analyzing the sound. Sounds simple enough, but in reality so few speakers (or systems) achieve it.

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast