+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What the Heck?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Going to the other extreme, how about a 7” tonearm with zero offset?

https://theaudiophileman.com/rigid-f...earm-viv-labs/

I’d love to hear one of these.
    It's perfectly possible to have an arm with zero angular offset (and hence no need for any provision of anti-skating), but in only having one degree of freedom in the geometry (which in this case will mean the arm underhangs the turntable spigot), there will only be one point on the record playing surface where the tracking error is zero.
    Barry

I'm jamie.

barry,going back to the link you posted,whats you view on inner and outer groove radius's.
    he seems to advocate 56-58mm for the inner,rather like the JIS 1981 standard size of 57.6mm.
    what are the benefits of changing the sizes of the inner/outer groove radius's ?
    i know from playing with them on the conrad hoffman arc protractor program you it effects the offset angle.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I've never measured the average inner groove radii for any of the LPs in my collection - life's too short.

Rather, I assume the arm manufacturer has done his sums and that the alignment protractor provided is correct. Most alignment protractors have null points at 66mm and 121mm; corresponding to inner and outer groove radii of 60.3mm and 146mm respectively.

Yes, small changes to the inner groove radius will change the offset angle as well as the overhang. Whereas the overhang is readily adjustable, the offset angle is not. So with a change of inner groove radius, and with a fixed offset angle and effective arm length, I would recalculate the null radii and mark them on an existing alignment protractor to set up the arm

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...earm-alignment
    Barry

I'm Mike.

BARRY, thanks for the Stereophile link, the contents of which surprise me. What on Earth, therefore, is TRACING error? I'm beginning to wonder if this is simply a linguistic difference (American v British English).

After all, when one talks about TRACKING, one is referring to the cart's ability to stay in the groove without distortion. TRACING would, i.m.o., be the correct word for following a geometric line, more with reference to a tonearm rather than the cart.

Utterly baffled here, as when this subject has come up on forums previously, it's always been as I'd conceived the differences between the two terms; one concerns the geometry and t'other the physical connection between stylus and groove.

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    BARRY, thanks for the Stereophile link, the contents of which surprise me. What on Earth, therefore, is TRACING error? I'm beginning to wonder if this is simply a linguistic difference (American v British English).

After all, when one talks about TRACKING, one is referring to the cart's ability to stay in the groove without distortion. TRACING would, i.m.o., be the correct word for following a geometric line, more with reference to a tonearm rather than the cart.

Utterly baffled here, as when this subject has come up on forums previously, it's always been as I'd conceived the differences between the two terms; one concerns the geometry and t'other the physical connection between stylus and groove.
    I believe you are correct.

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I've never measured the average inner groove radii for any of the LPs in my collection - life's too short.

Rather, I assume the arm manufacturer has done his sums and that the alignment protractor provided is correct. Most alignment protractors have null points at 66mm and 121mm; corresponding to inner and outer groove radii of 60.3mm and 146mm respectively.

Yes, small changes to the inner groove radius will change the offset angle as well as the overhang. Whereas the overhang is readily adjustable, the offset angle is not. So with a change of inner groove radius, and with a fixed offset angle and effective arm length, I would recalculate the null radii and mark them on an existing alignment protractor to set up the arm

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...earm-alignment
    What I’ve found Barry is the figures for my arm (zeta) are spindle to pivot is 210.6, effective length of 228.6, offset is 23.75 with an over hang of 18mm.
    Now if I put the effective length or spindle to pivot figures into the vinyl engine calculator the offset and overhang figures don’t match. You can get them close by changing the inner and outer radius’s but not excactly.

I don’t have a zeta original protractor so in the end I mounted it at 211 and went with linn alignment.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - great pic, but that arm's a joke, and will almost certainly sound like it!

12" arms? Undoubtedly technically superior to 9" ones (for reasons given), but most I've heard sound a bit laid back, despite their otherwise good points (smoothness and bass weight) compared with even the best 9-inchers. Oi

For me, however, the latter have a zesty/dynamic 'get-up-and-go', and 'fun factor', absent in their 12" counterparts, which I need for my music listening.

Some say 10" arms offer the best compromise between both - sentiments my instincts tell me could be right - which is why at some point, sooner rather than later, I intend to test that theory

Marco.
    should be interesting when I get my Stax UA-7 9" arm working and compare with the UA-70 12" arm. The exact same arm other than the wand and removable headshell so can try with the same cart. I found it difficult to hear any difference between 9" and 12" unipivots I've used. Certainly nothing to stress about, then I'm totally relaxed about music playback these days.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Grant.

i dont bother with any of that just bung on the geodisc and slide the arm til stylus is in the dot. job done
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm jamie.

Well that’s kinda what I did in using the linn protractor,I’m just interested why gb tools who made my arm went with 210.6 instead of 211 mounting distance.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post

Indeed it does: the former is called tracking error, the latter is called tracing error. It's not a matter of semantics, and whilst I'm sympathetic to your entomological argument (I used to have a similar problem with the designation of 'inner' and 'outer' lanes on motorways), I'm afraid the terms "tracking" and "tracing" have already been defined.

http://www.richardbrice.net/LP%20dis...mpensation.htm
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast