+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Are You A Hoarder?

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Very true, it's the memories that are important.

"People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I think you will find that there are adverts and articles that will sell on ebay. One seller has been selling old matchbox car adverts from the comics so some music ads and clippings about The Fall for example would be nice to frame.Martin
    You're right, although another challenge is that I don't have the time to properly sift the content out. When I began sorting them I discovered a duplicate copy of Sounds from 1980 with Iron Maiden on the cover and gave it a go on eBay, and a guy in Italy more or less begged me to let him have it for £20. However for every one of those there must be 20 edtions where the cover artist or main feature don't have a core following these days (1984 - Bourgie, Bourgie anybody ? ) and I'm more motivated by getting rid of them than running a lot of advertisements for weeks. It's back to the point that I've realised that they're actually weighing me down rather than being a source of cash. I'll see though, once I'm ready I'll probably advertise one year's worth in a single ad and find out how much those 51 editions fetch as a lot before deciding.

At WH Smiths in the railway station today I couldn't help but notice how music magazines are actually proliferating in spite of the internet. Whereas the hi-fi mag section has shrunk to almost nothing I saw music titles that I hadn't seen before, eg Louder Than War, Rock Candy and a host of one-off specials as well as the hardies like Q, Record Collector etc. A problem I have is that I'm keeping them even after I read them...

Thanks for your encouraging reply. Back on topic, I can show my wife this thread as evidence that I'm not a hoarder after all.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete The Cat; 23-02-2018 at 14:01. Reason: Typo

I'm Martin.

Yes I saw on the news last night that Robin Williams had 100 bicycles in his collection which are now up for auction. As Macca and others say nobody really complains when they have a large place to store all this stuff. Its is probably more natural to gather stuff and it becomes an issue of space for poorer people. Have you seen the pictures of the Japanese one room flats in expensive living areas...thats the way its probably heading for a lot of people

Items are nice and its there to tempt us. I dont go overboard and think Im quite choosy actually. There are shops in this town that I have never shopped in and areas of collecting that I will never be interested in

In a way its nice to sing "imagine no possessions" and there is a certain serenity in that feeling. Yes its only stuff but I would be very unhappy if it was taken from me. What I own is not even on the scale of whats out there

How would I do without all the things that make me happy like BBC The Fall sessions boxset.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 24-02-2018 at 17:31.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    You're right, although another challenge is that I don't have the time to properly sift the content out. When I began sorting them I discovered a duplicate copy of Sounds from 1980 with Iron Maiden on the cover and gave it a go on eBay, and a guy in Italy more or less begged me to let him have it for £20. However for every one of those there must be 20 edtions where the cover artist or main feature don't have a core following these days (1984 - Bourgie, Bourgie anybody ? ) and I'm more motivated by getting rid of them than running a lot of advertisements for weeks. It's back to the point that I've realised that they're actually weighing me down rather than being a source of cash. I'll see though, once I'm ready I'll probably advertise one year's worth in a single ad and find out how much those 51 editions fetch as a lot before deciding.

At WH Smiths in the railway station today I couldn't help but notice how music magazines are actually proliferating in spite of the internet. Whereas the hi-fi mag section has shrunk to almost nothing I saw music titles that I hadn't seen before, eg Louder Than War, Rock Candy and a host of one-off specials as well as the hardies like Q, Record Collector etc. A problem I have is that I'm keeping them even after I read them...

Thanks for your encouraging reply. Back on topic, I can show my wife this thread as evidence that I'm not a hoarder after all.

Pete
    Yes it will be interesting so please let us know. It is whether you have that time and inclination to get stuck in as one advert could match the cost of selling bulk issues. The big cult names would make certain issues worth splitting off

You could find you have a little goldmine there as fans out there want a good reference point and nostalgia is a big market. I have been looking at A4 and smaller adverts for the Fall and they should sell. I would frame an unusual one with good artwork. The prices are high but its a price I would pay for the right vibe.

I have a printer and could print out some nice stuff but there is something about the original ads that appeals. They can even be scanned and tarted up on a duplicate print if necessary

I wish I had kept my NMEs and Im certainly in the market now for earlier copies of Hi Fi Answers

All the best
    Martin

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post

Pete
    That's a bit of a coincidence - I've been going through my old Sounds and NMEs recently mainly from '76 - '80 so it's been interesting seeing the coverage of punk and new wave. It's surprising to see full page adverts for forgotten bands (to me at least) who seemed to go nowhere quickly - Trickster and George Hatcher Band? You should see all the negative reaction to the Pistols on the Grundy show in letters pages of Sounds and I forgot how much violence there was at gigs at the time.
    There's a gig review in Manchester where the author speaks to 'Hooky and Bernard' who are forming a band. I wonder what happened to them? I flick through an NME from '78 with John Cooper Clark on the cover and in the back is a letter from a Steven Morrissey extolling the virtues of the New York Dolls. There's tons of interest all over them.
    All theses inky papers are a bit messy and unattractive - they are spread out over the floor in my music room but I regard them as a musical and social history archive in my own home. I really wouldn't be without them
    Simon.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddles View Post
    That's a bit of a coincidence - I've been going through my old Sounds and NMEs recently mainly from '76 - '80 so it's been interesting seeing the coverage of punk and new wave. It's surprising to see full page adverts for forgotten bands (to me at least) who seemed to go nowhere quickly - Trickster and George Hatcher Band? You should see all the negative reaction to the Pistols on the Grundy show in letters pages of Sounds and I forgot how much violence there was at gigs at the time.
    There's a gig review in Manchester where the author speaks to 'Hooky and Bernard' who are forming a band. I wonder what happened to them? I flick through an NME from '78 with John Cooper Clark on the cover and in the back is a letter from a Steven Morrissey extolling the virtues of the New York Dolls. There's tons of interest all over them.
    All theses inky papers are a bit messy and unattractive - they are spread out over the floor in my music room but I regard them as a musical and social history archive in my own home. I really wouldn't be without them
    I'm with you on that era which is the reason I'm going to keep 100 or so from those days.

As well as the downsides (I remember Pete Shelley of Buzzcocks pleading with the audience at the Mecca Ballroom in Blackpool "I'm trying to sing you love songs and all you want to do is fight") there were glorious upsides. One of my favourite NME covers is October '77 with Poly Styrene of X-Ray Spex in helmet and bin liner with the headline "some people think that little girls should be seen and not heard". It's a shame that five years later punk ended up in a dark uniform of painted leather jackets playing lowest common denominator metal to a 99% male audience.

Your point about musical and social history is bang on. I love reading adverts from venues that no longer exist, singles of the week reviews, small ads selling tribal fashions, non-mainstream chart lists, letters from John Connelly and Keith Flett...

For me the problem is the sheer scale of what I've ended up with and the acknowledgement that they ceased to be essential reading a long time before I stopped buying them.

Back to the OP I can empathise with those who've hoarded belongings from those no longer with us. I held onto many of my Father's tools and equipment for years even though I hadn't the faintest clue what some of it was. Yet even now it warms me to suddenly find a pencil that he'd have been the last person to sharpen and use among an old tin of nuts and bolts.

Pete

I'm Graham.

Yes I am, but I hoard the wrong stuff.......
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Go and visit any stately home and see how much crap they have collected. Hundred, sometimes thousands of paintings. Stuffed dead animals out of their ass.
    '.
    i blame the public school system for that.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Grant.

was a good film where the aunty says ...if your depressed or unhappy, why dont you go to Africa and shoot things.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm paul.

I suppose I could be labeled a hoarder if not wanting to throw away useful things, either to me or someone else I such. I have been going through a load of records I was given and have another large box to do. Most are in mint condition but most of them are not to my taste or many here I would guess. I gave do kept a dozen or so and the rest are going to a charity shop that sells vinyl. A couple of Peter Gabriel albums are saved for a mate. It's taking a fair time to sort through them, checking they are in good condition, my description for what gets played on my tt. I offered them for pick up on lenco heaven to anyone that would take them to the wam show or tonbridge audio jumble to hand out to those that wanted any but no takers. I suppose I could sell some but really cannot be bothered with it.

Also my garages are filled to bursting with woodworking tools, welders, you name it and although I've tried to be ruthless recently I've made little impression on the hoard, I made enough room to shoe horn my '57 ford pop into one but would like to get it in the garage by the house. As soon as I ditch something I need it.
    My uncle was throwing out a roll of square galvanized mesh I took it put in my garage where it stayed for ten years,not long after I got rid of it I could have used it at our house in France
    I sometimes wish I was a useless twat that couldn't do practical stuff and wouldn't need any tools and other stuff.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast