+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are You A Hoarder?

I'm Martin.

Default Are You A Hoarder?

I get accused by several people of being a hoarder and it really gets on my goat. They are the sort of people who seem to own damn all. I get judged by people who barely own 10 cds and freak out when they see 500. I own about 200 games and 170 dvds...is that really a problem to anyone?

I see myself as a collector and I like to enjoy myself. If I have the room for a few extra bits of audio eqipment I will have them to mess about with. I know my absolute limits and then come to a stop

I only think "Hoarding" becomes a problem when it becomes a TV case and people are crawling over piles of rubbish to get into the kitchen. I cant see a problem unless it severely compromises the room to move.

I collected a few matchbox cars from my childhood and put them in a cabinet. Again some people have been having a go. What is wrong with the enjoyment of collecting things?

Do you get moaned at? I would like to get hold of these people who think we all should live in a sterile minimalist environment.

Best wishes to everyone on the forum
    Martin

I'm Grant.

my spare room has my overspill and is untidy at moment. livingroom and kitchen are busy in comparison to many but tidy. i personally prefer to have my stuff around me and on show.
    my mate next door is ocd and freaks if he is in for too long..lol...he has an enormous garage and keeps nothing in it. anything in there for longer than a fortnight is dumped...would hate to be that way
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Yes I think some of those people are OCD about any display of stuff or having stuff. I dont think I go overboard and I choose things carefully. Just getting a bit sick of people going you're a bit of a hoarder arent you

Am I...as a pose to what exactly?..they wouldnt complain if I had a mansion and could spread it out a bit..... Tuners are in room 9 in the west wing

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I get accused by several people of being a hoarder and it really gets on my goat.

Martin
    Do you really care? I don't give a bugger what anybody thinks and I've got loads of excess and not just Hi-Fi.

I'm Martin.

I think either extreme is a bit unhealthy. Piles of rubbish everywhere in the house, then yes, that's a problem. Obsessive tidiness, also a problem.

I occasionally go to people's houses which are like show-homes. They must be cleaning and tidying all the time. I couldn't live like that. It's weird behaviour.

Likewise I have a pal who when you open his front door it pushes the rubbish across the floor in a big ripple and you can see it rising up against the far wall. It's about a foot deep, pizza and take-away boxes mainly but other stuff in there too. I couldn't live like that either, but it doesn't seem to bother him.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

drowning in his own filth
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

I like to live in a fairly cluttered 'busy' environment.
    As those folks who have visited will attest.

I can't bear the stark "show home" approach - that's not a home to me.

I'm Shaun.

LOL, oh yes...! Especially vinyl records. I have them from years ago that are still sealed and unplayed. What is the point...?

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I can't bear the stark "show home" approach - that's not a home to me.
    Dwelling yes, home no.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Everyone has their own level of 'clutter' with which they feel comfortable and like to have around them. Towards the end of my career the company tried to introduce a clear desk policy - it didn't work. Neither did the 'paperless office'.

I think it is also a cultural thing, and to some extent a generational thing. Japanese homes are very neat and tidy because they are small with land to build them on being at a premium. However often the rooms of the younger Japanese are quite often jammed full with hardly any room to move around.

My partner is African and she comes from a culture where people don't really collect anything - it is unusual to see people reading a book, let alone have a bookshelf full of them, and the same goes for music: most likely a simple 'mini system' and perhaps a dozen or so CDs or cassettes. She prefers a minimalist look, even to the extent of having bare walls (apart from a large TV!), and has a real problem with my collection of approximately 3,000 books, 1,000 LPs and 1,500 CDs.

To answer the question "am I hoarder?", yes I guess I am: 10 amplifiers; 7 preamps; 2 phonostages; 4 TTs, 10 pickup arms; about 30 cartridges; 2 cassette decks; 2 CDPs; 6 tuners and 2 reel to reel machines.

And 2 DVD players, 250 DVDs, 50 or so VHS tapes and over 200 audio cassettes. Plus eight 35mm film cameras with 16 prime focus lenses and a couple of thousand of slides.

So there is quite a tussle going on between my partner and I over all this stuff. However I used to be worse - recently I got rid of about a cubic metre of old audio and photographic magazines.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast