+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Wanted: Yamaha Orthodynamic headphones 1970s/80s

  1. #1
    Join Date: Oct 2017

    Location: Rugeley

    Posts: 102
    I'm Steve.

    Default Wanted: Yamaha Orthodynamic headphones 1970s/80s

    Wanted, Yamaha Orthodynamic headphones from late 70s/early 80s. Must be in good condition and fully working. NB I already have the HP-3 model. Please PM me with details. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Forest of Dean, Glos

    Posts: 10,079
    I'm Jerry.

    Default

    Ah, shame - you missed mine by 18 months http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...a+Orthodynamic

    Maybe worth dropping the buyer a PM?
    Jerry

    Qobuz 16/44 streaming, Topping D30 DAC with lpsu, Herron VTSP-2 valve preamp, Trigon TRE 50M monoblocks, MBL 116F speakers.

    Cables: Wireworld Starlight USB, Ixos Ixotica i/c, W&M speaker cables, Belden 19364 mains cables

  3. #3
    Join Date: Oct 2017

    Location: Rugeley

    Posts: 102
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Ah, shame - you missed mine by 18 months http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...a+Orthodynamic

    Maybe worth dropping the buyer a PM?
    Ah, there you go. I'm just picking up on these (having owned my HP-3s for nearly 40 years!) but I think the HP-500 is not orthodynamic? I'll stand corrected on sight of proof!
    Last edited by vintagesteve; 09-02-2018 at 10:12.

  4. #4
    Join Date: Apr 2010

    Location: Bristol, since 1978. Current house since 1996!

    Posts: 358
    I'm Chris.

    Default

    Wharfedale Isodynamic phones are great. Somewhat saught after now though, as most have decayed ear-muffs and they are pretty inefficient. But the sound (via speaker outlets!) is great.
    IMG_3420.jpg
    Chris.

  5. #5
    Join Date: Jun 2015

    Location: London/Durham

    Posts: 1,763
    I'm Lawrence.

    Default

    I had the Leak version, same drivers I think but much cooler look in my opinion. I have to admit they are outclassed by today's efforts, I will probably never upgrade my Hifiman HE6's they are exactly the sound I've craved ask these years.

  6. #6
    Join Date: Jun 2015

    Location: London/Durham

    Posts: 1,763
    I'm Lawrence.

    Default

    Re my last post, when I had the leaks I didn't have a headphone amp and drove them with my cd player hp output so it's not a fair comparison. wish I could hear them again with my current setup.

  7. #7
    Join Date: Oct 2017

    Location: Rugeley

    Posts: 102
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Re my last post, when I had the leaks I didn't have a headphone amp and drove them with my cd player hp output so it's not a fair comparison. wish I could hear them again with my current setup.
    CD player hp output?

  8. #8
    Join Date: Jun 2015

    Location: London/Durham

    Posts: 1,763
    I'm Lawrence.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vintagesteve View Post
    CD player hp output?
    Headphone!

    Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date: Apr 2010

    Location: Bristol, since 1978. Current house since 1996!

    Posts: 358
    I'm Chris.

    Default

    Most headphone outputs are woefully underpowered. As Lawrence knows, I used my Iso phones via speaker outlets. Isodynamic phones usually need some oomph-through these apparently don't! (If you have the odd 3K euros!) http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/final6/1.html
    Chris.

  10. #10
    Join Date: Oct 2017

    Location: Rugeley

    Posts: 102
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    Most headphone outputs are woefully underpowered. As Lawrence knows, I used my Iso phones via speaker outlets. Isodynamic phones usually need some oomph-through these apparently don't! (If you have the odd 3K euros!) http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/final6/1.html
    I would have to disagree with that. There are cases such as when driving high impedance headphones and certain esoteric situations and combinations, but I would say the opposite, most headphone outputs are powerful enough.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •