+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Yamaha Orthodynamic headphones 1970s/80s

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Steve.

Default Wanted: Yamaha Orthodynamic headphones 1970s/80s

Wanted, Yamaha Orthodynamic headphones from late 70s/early 80s. Must be in good condition and fully working. NB I already have the HP-3 model. Please PM me with details. Thanks.

I'm gone.

Ah, shame - you missed mine by 18 months http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...a+Orthodynamic

Maybe worth dropping the buyer a PM?

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Ah, shame - you missed mine by 18 months http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...a+Orthodynamic

Maybe worth dropping the buyer a PM?
    Ah, there you go. I'm just picking up on these (having owned my HP-3s for nearly 40 years!) but I think the HP-500 is not orthodynamic? I'll stand corrected on sight of proof!
    Last edited by vintagesteve; 09-02-2018 at 10:12.

I'm Chris.

Wharfedale Isodynamic phones are great. Somewhat saught after now though, as most have decayed ear-muffs and they are pretty inefficient. But the sound (via speaker outlets!) is great.
    IMG_3420.jpg
    Chris.

I'm Lawrence.

I had the Leak version, same drivers I think but much cooler look in my opinion. I have to admit they are outclassed by today's efforts, I will probably never upgrade my Hifiman HE6's they are exactly the sound I've craved ask these years.

I'm Lawrence.

Re my last post, when I had the leaks I didn't have a headphone amp and drove them with my cd player hp output so it's not a fair comparison. wish I could hear them again with my current setup.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Re my last post, when I had the leaks I didn't have a headphone amp and drove them with my cd player hp output so it's not a fair comparison. wish I could hear them again with my current setup.
    CD player hp output?

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagesteve View Post
    CD player hp output?
    Headphone!

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

Most headphone outputs are woefully underpowered. As Lawrence knows, I used my Iso phones via speaker outlets. Isodynamic phones usually need some oomph-through these apparently don't! (If you have the odd 3K euros!) http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/final6/1.html
    Chris.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    Most headphone outputs are woefully underpowered. As Lawrence knows, I used my Iso phones via speaker outlets. Isodynamic phones usually need some oomph-through these apparently don't! (If you have the odd 3K euros!) http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/final6/1.html
    I would have to disagree with that. There are cases such as when driving high impedance headphones and certain esoteric situations and combinations, but I would say the opposite, most headphone outputs are powerful enough.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast