+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Possibly my biggest project yet - a Yamaha GT-2000 turntable

I'm Adam.

Default Possibly my biggest project yet - a Yamaha GT-2000 turntable

OK, then peeps, sorry for the delay but I’ve finally got a chance to post a few thoughts on the big fella.

I initially fired it up last weekend, loaded up with an Ortofon LH-2000 headshell and Ortofon MC Jubilee cartridge. The Jubilee because I’ve used it on both the Nak and the Sony PS-X9 and know how it sounds on them. The Ortofon headshell was necessary because the Yamaha shell has tapped fixing holes from below but the Jubilee has tapped holes from above.

And the verdict? Good. Very good indeed. The deck has a fine sense of depth and focus and a lovely sweet top end. Bass was deep but a little ponderous at times, and certainly not up to the PS-X9 standard ( but then, no turntable I’ve ever heard is). All in all, it seemed a good counterpoint to the Nakamichi - the TX-1000 is crisp and snappy but the GT is a bit more laid back.

All in all, very good, if perhaps not quite the jaw dropping stunner I was hoping for. But then we come to tonight...

After a week of idleness with the GT generally getting in the way in the lounge, I decide to have another play before moving it out of the way. I wanted to try the Yamaha headshell so a different cartridge was called for. Now, I like Ortofons and have quite a few, but they all seem to require screws from above - no good. However, as I was rummaging, I came across my Denon DL-103 and remembered a few of the folks on Audiokarma reckon the arm works well with one of these, so I thought why not give it a bash?

Well, I installed it, poured a glass of wine and sat down for a quick listen. That was about 6:00 - it is now 9:45 and I’m still going strong, because, holy shit, I still cannot quite believe what I’m hearing! As I type this, I am not listening to a band - I genuinely think The Eagles are down the other end of the lounge. The scale, effortlessness and sheer dynamics are absolutely staggering. That bass that was a bit ponderous is now deep, fast, cavernous and as tight as a duck’s arse! I’ve always had a soft spot for the DL-103 and know that it works better in chunky arms, but I have genuinely never, ever heard it sound like this before. Earlier on, I played some fairly epic choral material recorded in a church and even at a sensible volume, the low bass notes from the pipe organ were tingling the hairs on my arm. Equally, Sarah Mclachlan’s live ‘Mirrorball’ album is a bit of a sharp, splashy pressing if you’re not careful, but not right now it isn’t - it’s crisp and shiny, but yet detailed and clean.

All in all, I’m absolutely gobsmacked and chuffed to bits. And now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to find more records!
    Last edited by Beobloke; 23-09-2018 at 22:00.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Anto.

Superb stuff
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Steve.

Fantastic job. Massive respect sir.

I'm Julian.

all I can say is WOW....have you tweaked the arm at all Adam, or is this still completely stock?
    The arm does look a little similar to that fitted to Kenwood KD9010s - I think both may have been made by Micro Seiki?

I'm Adam.

Yes, the arm is completely stock. The bearings were checked and set by Audio Origami and I rebuilt the rest of it that had broken/bent/fallen off, but nothing else has been done to it.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Anto.

I got to thinking last night , just how lucky I was after buying my Aiwa AP2200 on E Bay ,recently.
    The seller , (after I had expressed concern ) told me it was double boxed and bubble wrap galore . Which it was !!
    No arguement - got here fine ,but the platter was till attached ! I had tried recently to coax it off a few times , but ,after making a puller eased it off !!

So a day or 2 ago , I set about taking the motor out ,and having to remove the bottom cover ,as I have already done numerous times lately , I flipped it onto its lid ,and onto my footstool. Clang !!!!! , as the now removable platter ,fell into the lid

Dodged the siver bullet there didnt I ,as that platter would have smashed the table all to bits ,had it shook loose !!

A very creditable rescue job there BEO B
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Yes, the arm is completely stock. The bearings were checked and set by Audio Origami and I rebuilt the rest of it that had broken/bent/fallen off, but nothing else has been done to it.
    I see that the stock Yamaha headshell has fixed screws for attaching the cartridge, and then the whole thing slides back and forth. How do you do the rest of the alignment? Is it fixed in position so you get perfect alignment? Can you also adjust arm height and azimuth with the stock arm?

Glad that you have found a great result, would have made a great article in Olde Worlde!!!!

I'm Adam.

Yes, the arm height is adjustable over quite a decent range. There are two,sets of screw holes in the headshell and it can be adjusted both fore and aft, and twisted for azimuth, so cartridge setup is quite flexible.

I'm Paul.

do you have any opinions how the GT2000 compares to an Kenwood KD990 in build and sound quality?

I have the KD990 and can perhaps buy an GT2000.
    Last edited by Paulie72; 21-05-2019 at 09:08.

I'm Paul.

I decided to take the dive and bought an GT2000 it was available closeby and after close audition the arm and motor where good. The casing is damaged and will be revenereed in walnut like the 2000x. From a nice fellow GT2000 listener at Audiokarna i get the speed indicator. The normal armlift is not working so we need to fix that.

I expect it to be ready in 1 month.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast