+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Creek CAS 4040 vs A&R Cambridge A60.

I'm Geoff.

I'd go for this. I've owned a few and they deliver the goods.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-Int...kAAOSw4QdadbWQ

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'd go for this. I've owned a few and they deliver the goods.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-Int...kAAOSw4QdadbWQ
    I'd rather have the earlier incarnation but there are none on eBay right now.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mauro.

Sorry, I've already bought an A60 on ebay for £65.

I'm just wondering if a CAS 4040 (the original, the S2 or the S3), could be better or not.

Cheers
    Mauro
    why is nothing ever simple?

I'm Mauro.

Quote Originally Posted by gerlando View Post
    Sorry, I've already bought an A60 on ebay for £65.

I'm just wondering if a CAS 4040 (the original, the S2 or the S3), could be better or not.

Cheers
    Mauro
    P.S. Possible speakers are B&W D5, Kef Chorale or Heybrook HB1.

I mainly listen to progressive rock.

I'm Geoff.

There's a pair of D5's on sale in Private Exhibitions. Still available I think.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...995-B-amp-W-D5

I was very tempted to buy them myself, but I have too many speakers already.

Actually, if you want to kick out some rock, what about a pair of Goodmans Magnum K2's. They can be picked up at sane prices and definitely boogie.

I'm Mauro.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There's a pair of D5's on sale in Private Exhibitions. Still available I think.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...995-B-amp-W-D5

I was very tempted to buy them myself, but I have too many speakers already.
    Yes, I'm dealing with Simon.
    But i'm tempted from the Kef and HB1 as well.

I'm Ralph.

I know this is an old thread but just thought I'd mention my anecdotal experience with Creek CAS4040 integrated amps. The unit I purchased in the mid 1980's blew its power transistors within a few years. Creek was kind enough to supply me with replacements which I soldered in place, but these too eventually blew. I purchased a few identical units on ebay for parts but eventually gave up on the amp. Note that this unit was wired for US 120V operation and possibly reliability was better in the UK. I also recall being told that S2 (or was it S3?) fixed reliability issues with the output transistors. I guess if you buy a working unit on ebay today, then it does not have reliability problems!

Anyway, I loved the form factor and look of this unit. It was my first encounter with a quintessentially British integrated amp: It was extremely compact compared with American and Asian units with the same power capability, and the controls and buttons were well distinguished and easy to use compared with the undifferentiated rows of buttons on so many other integrated amps. This was a time when some manufacturers thought it an improvement to dispense with the volume control entirely, replacing it with a pair of Increase/Decrease buttons!

That said, I think the wooden-enclosed case was less than ideal, having poor heat conductivity (IE good insulation properties). Later units such as my current Creek 4240 use equally-compact vented steel enclosures with large internal heatsinks.

I'm Geoff.

Well as we're reviving this thread, here's my two-bob's worth.

For sound, I'd get the Creek. For build quality and reliability, I want the A60.

BUT! I'd back a Quad 306 with cheap passive pre-amp against them (and win ).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Frank.

Not if you want to play vinyl. Surely? And it's roughly 3 times the price.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbo View Post
    Not if you want to play vinyl. Surely? And it's roughly 3 times the price.
    Vinyl is a different matter.

Not sure what you mean by "3 times the price". I picked up a 306 plus passive pre-amp for under £150 in the last year. A good A60 can cost £200.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast