+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How Far Up Do You Go ?

I'm Martin.

Right. Funny really, I don't see the point of transformer passives at all. Just more expensive for no benefit. I suppose the punter feels they are getting more for their money than they would for just a pot in box.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Right. Funny really, I don't see the point of transformer passives at all.
    Have you used one? I wouldn't be without mine, sounds very different and superior to any 'normal' passive or active unit I've tried (and that's a lot).

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Have you used one? I wouldn't be without mine, sounds very different and superior to any 'normal' passive or active unit I've tried (and that's a lot).
    I've tried the most expensive one on the market (Music First) against what I have now and there was no difference I could discern except for the nine grand price differential. Maybe those with ears of less cloth would think otherwise, I don't know. But it would be a waste of money for me.
    Current Lash Up:

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've tried the most expensive one on the market (Music First) against what I have now and there was no difference I could discern except for the nine grand price differential. Maybe those with ears of less cloth would think otherwise, I don't know. But it would be a waste of money for me.
    I had a pretty high end Music First passive as well (I think £5k retail). It worked differently with different sources, which to my mind might explain why some love and some hate them.

Pure and transparent it was, but for me as with all passives I felt it lacked the get up and go of a good active tube preamp - it was just not as musical as a good tube pre.

I did feel the MF offered something vs your standard stepped or film pot (I've tried a few of those too) - maybe a better way with nuance - but for it to be a long-term solution I thing you'd have to choose your sources and probably your power amp extremely carefully. I prefer something with more flexibility, ie with a bit of gain.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

But it all depends on the gain structure of your system, don't it.
    This is key I think. And probably the relative impedances of different bits of kit as well.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I had a pretty high end Music First passive as well (I think £5k retail). It worked differently with different sources, which to my mind might explain why some love and some hate them.

Pure and transparent it was, but for me as with all passives I felt it lacked the get up and go of a good active tube preamp - it was just not as musical as a good tube pre.

I did feel the MF offered something vs your standard stepped or film pot (I've tried a few of those too) - maybe a better way with nuance - .
    It all comes down to how we expect/want a hi-fi to sound I think. The massive variation in what we all use would indicate that is rarely the same for any two people.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456