+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chromecast Audio vs Raspberry Rpi/HifiBerry Digi+

I'm Bill.

Default Chromecast Audio vs Raspberry Rpi/HifiBerry Digi+

I'm currently using a CCA with a Beresford Caiman SEG. 90% of my listening is done via Bubble UPNP accessing files stored on a hard drive, otherwise it's Deezer.

I have used a Pi before, but not with the SEG and I'm now wondering if there are any SQ improvements to be had using a Pi with a Digi board for coax or optical.

I really like the convenience and simplicity of the CCA, so it only an increase in SQ that is of interest to me.

Any thoughts?
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    I'm currently using a CCA with a Beresford Caiman SEG. 90% of my listening is done via Bubble UPNP accessing files stored on a hard drive, otherwise it's Deezer.

I have used a Pi before, but not with the SEG and I'm now wondering if there are any SQ improvements to be had using a Pi with a Digi board for coax or optical.

I really like the convenience and simplicity of the CCA, so it only an increase in SQ that is of interest to me.

Any thoughts?
    A pi2 with a hifiberry digi+ pro sounds better than a CCA, if you have an rca spdif input...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Geoff.

I have a Pi with the Digi+. It is good but nowhere near as good as my Allo Digione Pi system. The only downside to the latter is that it does not have an optical output but this is in order to maximise sound quality. I also use this with a Caiman SEG and believe it offers SQ hard to match anywhere near its price.

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

Any thoughts?
    BTW. Was going to put the Pi/Hifi Berry Digi+ up for sale. PM me if interested. Can supply it with Volumio already configured.

I'm Grant.

Bubble works well enough but looks terrible alas. Got cca's and an rpi with its own dac. Pi is better but cca is easier. Actually prefer jriver but it's not suitable for all situations. Bluetooth 4.2 is very decent too and not to be confused with earlier incarnations
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    BTW. Was going to put the Pi/Hifi Berry Digi+ up for sale. PM me if interested. Can supply it with Volumio already configured.
    Now that you have said the Allo is so much better........
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Geoff.

Now that you have said the Allo is so much better........
    Yes it is. It is also much more expensive. I think it is about 4 times the price of the basic Digi+ board.

Geoff

I'm Paul.

I use a Pi3 with Volumio and a USB DAC. I believe that you have more options to play hi res files in their native format and to upsample with the Pi3.
    ~Paul~

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I have a Pi with the Digi+. It is good but nowhere near as good as my Allo Digione Pi system. The only downside to the latter is that it does not have an optical output but this is in order to maximise sound quality. I also use this with a Caiman SEG and believe it offers SQ hard to match anywhere near its price.

Geoff
    Is the Digione really that much better? Have looked at it before but have stayed with the Digi+ as am skeptical about any SQ increase.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    Is the Digione really that much better? Have looked at it before but have stayed with the Digi+ as am skeptical about any SQ increase.
    Simon,

Yes. The biggest improvement is the lower noise threshold and greater clarity. I played both the Hifiberry Digi+ and Digione through the Caiman SEG and listened to wide variety of music. Listening through my Maggies (which are very revealing) I found the Digione much clearer. Lyrics were easier to follow, the soundstage was improved, and subtle nuances were easier to follow. I wouldn't say that the bass was deeper but textures seemed to be better resolved. All listening was initially done with a standard SMPS. I found an even greater improvement when I powered the Digione with a battery power supply. It costs a lot more than other Pi audio boards, but still a bargain at 90 quid or thereabouts. Allo do a nice case too, if appearance is a factor.

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast