Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: B&W DM7 Kenneth Grange classic

I'm Mark.

Just to add a 'dash' of balance to proceedings;

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/editoria...w-dm7-speakers

Happy reading.

I'm Andy.

Hi steve.
    I bought these in the West Midlands. I've been told a 405 will run these nicely but for some reason only known to myself I want more watts per channel so am looking for a 606 or Similar, but I do want a British amp to pair with them. I've gone through my DM7's and given them a proper clean/ check. I think they look amazing! They are marmite for sure. Everyone who sees them has an opinion -good or bad. That I like. Let me know when you get yours and post a pic.. I've missed all of these comments.. need to turn my notifications on!

I'm John.

Hey there Steve how did you get along with the Dm7?

I'm Martin.

I picked up a pair of DM5 yesterday with the kevlar driver questioned in an early response.

I was super inpressed when I tested them against some highly regarded current stand mounts.

I did not hear any age related weakness.

I have passed them on with great reluctance to a friend down on his luck. Despite his serious woes the DM5 had him grinning from ear to ear within a few bars of the remastered N Simone's Funkier than a Mosquitos Tweeter. M

I'm charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanthecat View Post
    I picked up a pair of DM5 yesterday with the kevlar driver questioned in an early response.

I was super inpressed when I tested them against some highly regarded current stand mounts.

I have passed them on with great reluctance to a friend down on his luck. Despite his serious woes the DM5 had him grinning from ear to ear within a few bars of the remastered N Simone's Funkier than a Mosquitos Tweeter. M
    I had problems with a version of that bass/mid unit which was fitted to my Monitor Audio MA1's. More worringly, the tweeters fitted to DM5 are prone to gradual reduction in output due to drying out of ferro fluid. This is a gradual reduction over the years as the ferro fluid evaporates and gets sticky. Users don't always realise it as it's a gradual process. Chances are they are out of spec though.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanthecat View Post

I have a pair of DM5's, OK speakers in my view, best bit about them is great bass performance for a small (very heavy!) cabinet.

The dried ferrofluid can be removed from a lot of old B&W tweeters, restoring the treble output.
    Spendorman

I'm jamie.

Or just replace the fluid with fresh
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm charles.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    I have a pair of DM5's, OK speakers in my view, best bit about them is great bass performance for a small (very heavy!) cabinet.

The dried ferrofluid can be removed from a lot of old B&W tweeters, restoring the treble output.
    It's important to replace the ferrofluid if flushing out old because spec will be altered and power handling affected. It's vitally important to replace with same spec ferrofluid and in the exact same quantity. I'm not sure if B&W can or will help with this information. I'd like to think they could but model DM5 is an ancient speaker from another era of this company.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by 57charles View Post
    It's important to replace the ferrofluid if flushing out old because spec will be altered and power handling affected. It's vitally important to replace with same spec ferrofluid and in the exact same quantity. I'm not sure if B&W can or will help with this information. I'd like to think they could but model DM5 is an ancient speaker from another era of this company.
    Ideally, yes, but I guess that a lot of these early tweeters that were adopting ferrofluid were existing non ferrofluid ones to which ferrofluid has been added.

I have had no problems removing the ferrofluid of some early B&W tweeters. Better than a tweeter that has little output.
    Spendorman

I'm charles.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Ideally, yes, but I guess that a lot of these early tweeters that were adopting ferrofluid were existing non ferrofluid ones to which ferrofluid has been added.

I have had no problems removing the ferrofluid of some early B&W tweeters. Better than a tweeter that has little output.
    Removing the ferrofluid and not replacing it like for like will alter the balance of the speaker system since the original system including crossover would have been designed to include the response of the tweeter with the ferrofluid. I've tried it myself and generally the characteristics of the speaker tend to become brighter and more strident.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast