+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 'audiophile' cables by Belden

I'm Deleted.

Default New 'audiophile' cables by Belden

Has anyone come across the new interconnects and speaker cable range from cable giants Belden? Apparently there is an RCA terminated interconnect, a balanced version terminated in XLR plugs and a speaker cable - the range is called 'Iconoclast'.

http://info.belden.com/iconoclast

The reason I mention these above any other new cable is because they are from Belden, a manufacturer who doesn't just make audio cables but one who makes cables for virtually every use. Also, this is their first signal cable they have done specifically aimed at the 'high end' audio market.
    Account Deleted

I'm Geoff.

Not seen those before. I'd expect them to be good, I like Belden cables. The pricing could be interesting.

I'm Deleted.

I was going to say that I can't find anything about pricing but I've just found this which would suggest prices range from 'very' to 'exceedingly' - very unlike normal Belden...

Account Deleted

I'm Geoff.

Hmm. That's in Audio note or Cardas territory. Better be damn good then.

I'm Deleted.

Yeah, there are three quality levels of the RCA equipped interconnect and the cheapest is the equivalent of £433.00 - the highest quality one is a staggering £2856.00! They all use Cardas RCA plugs which are nothing special either.
    Account Deleted

I'm gone.

To help justify the pricing they do come in pretty colours.

I'm Deleted.

These do seem to be priced according to what the market will stand as opposed to what they cost to make. The conducting material for the whole range is copper and Belden can certainly source this at a competitive rate.
    Account Deleted

I'm tony.

Gulp....thats a bit salty price wise!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

In the past I've made up interconnects using Belden cable of various types. One of the best coaxial cable used was Belden 9907: a member here who listened to them was so impressed he absolutely insisted I make up a pair for him as well!

In general I use high quality cable sourced from professional "no nonsense" manufacturers who supply the aerospace, communications or broadcast industry, as well as recording studios. Thus the cable can come from Belden, Amphenol, Times Wire, BICC, Huber & Shuner, Trompeter, Gotham, Klotz, Proel and Van Damme.

Looks to me as if Belden have just woken up to the audiophile market and jumped on the bandwagon.
    Barry

I'm George.

Ah....the lure of the $...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast