+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Rewiring a DECCA FFSS mk2 tonearm

I'm Andrew.

Default HELP! Rewiring a DECCA FFSS mk2 tonearm

I've had one of these lurking in the loft for a couple of years and decided to restore it. It needs a rewire but I need some help. Does anyone have a diagram describing the wire layout from the tonearm head to the RCA's. I'm a little stuck with where to solder the grounding wires for the left and right channels.

Thanks

A
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

How many contact 'pips' does it have at the cartridge end?

I have one but I haven't used it in years, so it's lurking in the back of a cupboard and I'm not at home at the moment to look.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

I suspect Barry may be your man for info here Andy.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I suspect Barry may be your man for info here Andy.
    Ha. He beat me to it!

I'm Andrew.

Barry I will post some pictures tomorrow when I have some time. I'm wanting to get this project finished.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

A few pics of this project!

DSCN3440.jpgDSCN3445.jpgDSCN3449.jpgDSCN3451.jpgDSCN3452.jpg

see next post.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

DSCN3450.jpgDSCN3484.jpg

So I have completely stripped down and repolished the arm tube. We now have no nasty scratches. Time for a re-wire. More pics to follow.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I have now had a chance to dig out my Decca ffss Mk. II arm (upgraded to 'Super' status), and have traced the wiring using a multimeter.

With the cartridge end of the arm facing you, the four contacts, going from left to right are as follows:

1 Left-hand signal, connected to the pin of the Red phono plug

2 No connection

3 Left-hand and right-hand channel returns, connected to the outer (shield) part of both the Red and Green plugs

4 Right-hand signal, connected to the pin of the Green phono plug.
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

That's excellent thanks, now to find time to rewire it!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Barry and forum friends,

I intend to rewire this with some silver litz that I've found in my spares box. My only concern is the ground returns from pin 3. I think I'd like to do one continuous run straight to a couple of new RCA's, I'll store the old wire. So, is it simply a case of soldering left and right channel return from pin 3 straight to the ground pins in the left and right RCA plugs?
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast