+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Yamaha NS-1000M A Fresh Start

I'm Dennis.

I suggest reading through what ESP Rod says about damping factor.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Is it this page?
    http://sound.whsites.net/articles/coupling-caps.htm

He says bypass capacitors should go between the +ve and -ve supply rails, not from each rail to earth. This is correct, though often not applied.
    A plus for Rod
    Yes that's one of the references, I think there are other mentions and as part of other subjects as well.

I had seen it suggested in several places, including op-amp spec sheets, to put a cap from each power rail (+/-) to ground but Rod, as you point out, puts a single cap across the rails as do many others. I followed Rods build instructions to the letter and it works great.

I'm Dennis.

Having changed my PC recently I have lost all my addresses, and don't even have the one to Rod's site.

He is rather opinionated and comes across as maybe arrogant, but I have experienced that in my career numerously with graduate engineers, there is a snobbishness by many because it is a hard discipline especially compared with liberal arts for eg.

He may well have validated much of his beliefs and statements by measurement, and my opinion is that he is a good engineer despite the above.

There are loads of articles on damping factors showing that the number is a complete artefact bearing little relation to the actual damping achieved. The number looks great when it is high, but the reality of an amplifier and speaker cct limits the reality of damping factor to far less.

I'm Ken.

My experimentation with the NS-1000M has concluded.
    My final and best results were with a semi active set up, which can be seen here:
    https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...1000M-Upgraded

Please Lock thread.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567