+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Spendor SP2s

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by 57charles View Post
    So long as you know that basically your speakers are not Spendor SP2 original factory spec and that they don't sound as they were originally designed to do.
    Charles, I don't think many folk who have old speakers expect them to sound as original factory spec!!!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Everything deteriorates.

Replace the drivers in your speakers every year do you?
    True Oli, everything changes in the audio chain, some for good and some bad. Most equipment needs to run in and will change slightly over the course of its life. Caps deteriorate as do stylus. So what, you live with those changes if they still sound good or you replace.

Not sure why Charles has got his knickers in a twist about "original factory spec". I expect many folk have speakers or equipped that has drifted from factory spec, especially if it's old.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    True Oli, everything changes in the audio chain, some for good and some bad. Most equipment needs to run in and will change slightly over the course of its life. Caps deteriorate as do stylus. So what, you live with those changes if they still sound good or you replace.

Not sure why Charles has got his knickers in a twist about "original factory spec". I expect many folk have speakers or equipped that has drifted from factory spec, especially if it's old.
    Speakers are made with tolerance, the same as everything else mate. If a Capacitor or resistor is out of tolerance, we change it bur thats Not easy when you're using speakers from 1971!!! (mine) also, where are the specs for tolerance of rubber surrounds movement and vibration resistance and how is it measured!!! What a load of bollocks. Obviously, if there is sag or a bulge under the weight of a driver then sure, that'd need changing but come on!!!! I've NEVER seen that in a quality speaker of this calibre.

It's incredible that such a statement has been made that "ignorance" is playing a part in your pleasure and your speakers are inferior due to their age!!!

Ridiculous.

Enjoy your speakers mate. I really did.

I'm Alan.

I don't believe that the type of rubber used will harden over time.
    In my experience when rubber hardens it takes on a matt looking surface and eventually starts to show fine surface cracks.

I also was under the impression that a woofers resonant frequency drops as it gets older due to lower stiffness, though this may be in the spider primarily.

I'm Dennis.

I cannot remember the surrounds from seeing them in about '93, but I think they are similar to my own on LS 5/8 mid/woofers which are a PVC based plastic, though I have seen it described as neoprene. It is not particularly springy, less so than rubber, and has more damping.

This material was chosen for its longevity and stability, foam being the worst these respects.

Alan is right about rubber.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Speakers are made with tolerance, the same as everything else mate. If a Capacitor or resistor is out of tolerance, we change it bur thats Not easy when you're using speakers from 1971!!! (mine) also, where are the specs for tolerance of rubber surrounds movement and vibration resistance and how is it measured!!! What a load of bollocks. Obviously, if there is sag or a bulge under the weight of a driver then sure, that'd need changing but come on!!!! I've NEVER seen that in a quality speaker of this calibre.

It's incredible that such a statement has been made that "ignorance" is playing a part in your pleasure and your speakers are inferior due to their age!!!

Ridiculous.

Enjoy your speakers mate. I really did.
    Just a bit annoying when someone makes statements in such a condescending manner. A good proportion of us folk here on AOS use old speakers and a aware of the possible changes in their structure due to their age but unless they sound terrible or even affect the sound audibly to a negative degree, we live with them.

One of the reasons I still use the original SP2 is because on later models they changed the cone material and specification and they did not sound as good. Maybe it was down to cheaper production techniques or cost cutting but to my ears the SP2/2 and SP2/3 don't sound as good.

So what does that say, buy new in spec speakers that sound inferior or live with old out of spec speakers that sound great!

I'm Grant.

Default Spendor SP2s

Old speakers Don't need to have gone backwards at all. Mine are about as old as me and sound terrific. Wish I had fared as well
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Old speakers Don't need to have gone backwards at all. Mine are about as old as me and sound terrific. Wish I had fared as well

Bigman80 Guest

I wonder why so many of us have "old, out of spec" speakers? Must be because we're deaf

I'm Geoff.

Speakers are generally regarded as having a 'break-in' period.

Surely once break-in has occured, the speakers are no longer at their 'as new' manufacturer's spec? The cones having established break-up patterns within their material structure and the suspension gaining greater compliance. So would the post 'break-in' spec be the aimed for and correct spec?

A comparison would be interesting. New speakers measured straight out of the box, then similar speakers tested after say six months of hard use.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast