+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aragon 4004 dual mono power amplifier.

I'm Rohan.

Default Aragon 4004 dual mono power amplifier.

Selling as I am trying to thin down the stuff in my living room!

For those who don't know:

The 4004 is a true dual mono power amp designed by Dan D'Agostino of Krell fame. This will drive pretty much anything- 200w/ch at 8 ohms doubling to 400w/ch at 4 ohms and is genuinely capable of driving a 1 ohm load for all you unrepentant Electrostatic users out there. Quite a lot of pure Class A watts output before switching into AB. High damping factor resulting in iron grip.

Overbult to a ridiculous specification, it is true dual mono inside with two massive transformers.
    Had it looked over a little over a year ago by an electrical engineer I know who did soak test and checked dc offset. He gave it the all clear, whilst also remarking on the massively overbuilt qualities I mentioned earlier on.

The casing has a few marks and scratches but generally looking quite presentable. The brushed steel faceplate is bloody hard to photograph with it looking a bit dull, better in the metal. This picture highlights the worst marks, in fact the ones on the edge look much less obvious in real life!

Originally I sold this on Ebay months ago to someone who revealed himself to be one of those "non-paying buyer" idiots. Has been in intermittent usage since!

Offering here at SOLD to AOS members which is less than it owes me. Pickup preferred as the monster weighs about 25kg or more. Can be posted if need be.
    I also have schematics and how-tos available for the buyer.

There's a lot out there online about these if you need to know more.

Some blurb from Aragon themselves:

"To create one of the world's most acclaimed amplifiers requires more than brute power, it requires refined sound. To achieve that goal requires a no compromise approach to parts selection and circuit design. In the 4004 a quad array transistor package is utilized in the pre-driver stage, yielding matched transistors and equal temperature coefficients. The output transistors are matched to over 30 categories, more stringent than any other audio manufacturer. The 4004 contains dual torodial power transformers, which are annealed in nitrogen. The steel of the transformer core is selected by grain structure. Gold plated connectors from Tiffany are used for the inputs. The output connectors are by Monster Cable. Circuit heat dissipation is by convection via the distinctive "V" notch in the top of the chassis. This unique design allows for proper cooling even when a shelf or component is placed on top of an Aragon amplifier.

A member of the first generation of Aragon branded amplifiers. The 4004 amplifier delivers 200 watts per channel at an 8 ohm load, and doubled to 400 watts per channel into a 4 ohm load. This capability is highlighted in the amplifier's designation as "4004" or "400 watts into 4 ohms".
    Last edited by VanDerGraaf; 23-01-2018 at 16:10.

I'm gone.

Cor that looks like a bargain and a half!

Sadly I only recently bought some superb monoblocks and I really can't justify buying this.
    Someone will get a great bargain!
    GLWS.

lordmortlock Guest

I’ll take this if you’ll ship it Rohan, sounds like it could be fun!

I'm Rohan.

Ok, well let me look into shipping costs and I'll get back to you, you have first refusal��

lordmortlock Guest

No problem. I know what a pain it can be packing and sending heavy pieces, so totally understand if you want to give priority to a local buyer if one emerges in the next couple of weeks

I'm Chris.

Small pallet needed?Plus an off switch at Jake's house? (-:
    Chris.

I'm Rohan.

Shipping is working out a lot cheaper than I might have thought....

lordmortlock Guest

Excellent. Complete overkill on the XL horns but I’m on a power/transparency drive at the mo, so excited to hear this. The worst that can happen is it launches the drivers across the room into my head right??

I'm James.

Macca you should consider this?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Rohan.

Sold to Lord Mortlock!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast