+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: montesquieu's STA100

I'm David.

Hi Tom,
    I'll definitely take you up on that! I'm in Wimbledon, so yes, not so far. Unfortunately next Sat is sacrosanct (wife's birthday) otherwise I'd be round like a rabbit being chased by a hunting pack!
    David

I'm Josie.

Hehe... I bet it sounds great.

Your last amplifier?

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hehe... I bet it sounds great.

Your last amplifier?
    Undoubtedly the last one in the main system. It's been a fixture since I got it about 3 years ago (or was it four?), seen off all sorts in that time, it's just wonderful to have it back.

That's not to say I won't have a play with other bits for the system in the study ....

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Undoubtedly the last one in the main system. ...
    Nah Tom, you will soon want another STA100 and get Will to monoblock them.

Or get 4 altogether and implement vertical and horizontal amping.

At that point you can cancel your central heating.

Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Justin.

Nah he has the power. You can tell one someone really likes somerhing.

I've been trying to beat my 211s for 10 years odd now despite trying about 30 odd amps. Only one got closeish but it used 20 KT150s. Absurd!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Nah Tom, you will soon want another STA100 and get Will to monoblock them.

Or get 4 altogether and implement vertical and horizontal amping.

At that point you can cancel your central heating.

Actually I did have four Audion push pull 300b monoblocks at one point and an active crossover arrangement (into 15in Golds). It looked quite impressive, a long line of 300b amps!

But it while there was more detail active, it sounded more musical and together - just more enjoyable - with the passive crossover in place, and I went back to normal arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post

I've been trying to beat my 211s for 10 years odd now despite trying about 30 odd amps. Only one got closeish but it used 20 KT150s. Absurd!

Indeed Justin - I've refined this system to the point where it just sounds 'right' to my ears. Anything that's not a perfect a fit doesn't stay. Seems to me you are the same with your 211s (which I've heard and are truly fab with the Apogees).

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post

It will be interesting to see if Tom's STA100 gets near your 211s. Or should that be the other way around?

20 KT150s. Sheesh. That must have been a sight. Any pic/link?

Tom and I have a plan for me to come over to his place and have a listen to his STA100. I'll be taking a recently fettled Sugden for a listen on his Tannoys. It will be an interesting comparison - chalk and cheese mind you with the Sugden being SS.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Justin.

It will be interesting to see if Tom's STA100 gets near your 211s. Or should that be the other way around?

20 KT150s. Sheesh. That must have been a sight. Any pic/link?

Tom and I have a plan for me to come over to his place and have a listen to his STA100. I'll be taking a recently fettled Sugden for a listen on his Tannoys. It will be an interesting comparison - chalk and cheese mind you with the Sugden being SS.

They did sound good. 400 Watts in Pentode and 250 Watts in triode. Trouble is, they kept shutting down in triode mode. On the 4 Ohm taps in pentode they were fine.

But they weighed stupid amounts - about 8 KG more than the 211s at about 50G each. Oddly the 20 KT150s emitted much less heat than 4 211s. Or seemed to.

A Diva owner tried them - and - they kept shutting down in triode mode. He's using ARC 250 Watt monos with no issues.

Refined sound, no question. Not as alive as the 211s but a great sound nonetheless.

I'm Edward.

I'm Justin.

Ah its only looks. Looks are bullshit*.

*repeat after me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast