+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer PLC-590 turntable

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    yep,the timing is great,the PMAT-1010 mk6 ,if testing goes well should be available later this month,so i have time to get used to the PA again.
    Exciting times mate. The right arm makes all the difference. I know Angus spoke well on the Pioneer arm so i expect you to like it. The PMAT is a great arm though so I am really following this closely.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm jamie.

Default Phonomac PA-5000

My Pioneer PA-5000 tonearm had been with Angus having some work done,it returned this week and yesterday i fitted it,i been listening to it today since 6am,its now 1.39pm so what does that tell you!

The arm was sent to Angus for a re wire and check up originally but after chatting it was decided whilst he had it to completely strip it down and rebuild it.
    Angus has worked his magic and fitted a ceramic hybrid main lateral bearing with tighter tolerances,the others were still in good shape and were left,the pivot pins for these were re-surfaced and polished.
    The arm tube was damped internally and re-wired using KAB Superflex, (the one that's like a wet noodle!) it was then reassembled and the bearings were given their final adjustment.
    A lovely machined sub weight was also added to the list of jobs,the PA-5000 originally came with one to allow heavier cartridges to be used.

Whilst fitting the cartridge (ART-7) i was very impressed with the free play,with the arm balanced only the lightest of breath was needed to send the arm moving across the platter,similarly vertical movement was also miles better than before.

Angus also supplied an arc protractor using Uni-din geometry,ive not tried this before,ive always used Loëfgren A or Baerwald as its commonly known.
    Alignment was very simple,get the cartridge square in the headshell and the stylus to follow the arc line and job done!

Sub weight fitted,you cant tell from the photo but theres a lovely machined pin that locks the main weight to the sub weight.

So as i said ive been listening to vinyl for nearly 9hrs,the tonearm for all the work thats been done has moved up a level,its greatly improved over the standard example,i suspect it will improve more as things bed in.

it sounds divine!,Im not one for using words like inky black or micro detail blah blah blah suffice to say on complex jazz i can follow all the instruments with ease,nothing sounds harsh or bloated,it just sounds 'right' iam very very happy with this tonearm!
    Many thanks Angus for all your hard work
    some more photos...

My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

Looks very nice mate.

Bigman80 Guest

The man is the maestro as far as tonearms are concerned. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Guru.

Really nice looking arm and I am really pleased it's doing the job for you. I heard from Angus about his PMAT-1010 MK6 and I am very excited to hear that. I know you have one in the pipeline so a comparison of the two will be a great read, I'm sure.

Enjoy it mate and congratulations

I'm Robert.

Sweet Jamie,

Been 'hi-fi-ing' with Angus for years - love his work, knowledge and guidance. He's defo a key part in optimising your componentry towards getting the best out of your system,

wouldnt be where it is without him.

That tonearm is a real looker, importantly it'll really shine sonically now it's had the PhonoMac treatment - enjoy
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm jamie.

Cheers fellas,next up is to get the Sony up and running
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Cheers fellas,next up is to get the Sony up and running
    That's the one mate. Exciting times!!

I'm Ivo.

My Pioneer PA-5000 tonearm had been with Angus having some work done,it returned this week and yesterday i fitted it,i been listening to it today since 6am,its now 1.39pm so what does that tell you!

The arm was sent to Angus for a re wire and check up originally but after chatting it was decided whilst he had it to completely strip it down and rebuild it.
    Angus has worked his magic and fitted a ceramic hybrid main lateral bearing with tighter tolerances,the others were still in good shape and were left,the pivot pins for these were re-surfaced and polished.
    The arm tube was damped internally and re-wired using KAB Superflex, (the one that's like a wet noodle!) it was then reassembled and the bearings were given their final adjustment.
    A lovely machined sub weight was also added to the list of jobs,the PA-5000 originally came with one to allow heavier cartridges to be used.

Whilst fitting the cartridge (ART-7) i was very impressed with the free play,with the arm balanced only the lightest of breath was needed to send the arm moving across the platter,similarly vertical movement was also miles better than before.

Angus also supplied an arc protractor using Uni-din geometry,ive not tried this before,ive always used Loëfgren A or Baerwald as its commonly known.
    Alignment was very simple,get the cartridge square in the headshell and the stylus to follow the arc line and job done!

Sub weight fitted,you cant tell from the photo but theres a lovely machined pin that locks the main weight to the sub weight.

So as i said ive been listening to vinyl for nearly 9hrs,the tonearm for all the work thats been done has moved up a level,its greatly improved over the standard example,i suspect it will improve more as things bed in.

it sounds divine!,Im not one for using words like inky black or micro detail blah blah blah suffice to say on complex jazz i can follow all the instruments with ease,nothing sounds harsh or bloated,it just sounds 'right' iam very very happy with this tonearm!
    Many thanks Angus for all your hard work
    some more photos...

Great commitment Jamie! And nice photos too. Yours PLC looks gorgeous!
    BR,
    Ivo
    Pioneer:
    PLC-590, RT-909, 707, CT-F1250, 900, 750, 700, T-C3, P-D1, TX-7800,
    U-24, SR-303, SG-9800, SA-7800, SX-750, DT-400, HPM-100
    Nakamichi: DRAGON, BX300e, BX125, BX 1, CD4

I'm Ivo.

I couldn’t resist to post mine with PA-1000 arm . Hope you don’t mind. Have been waiting too long for this TT.

Pioneer:
    PLC-590, RT-909, 707, CT-F1250, 900, 750, 700, T-C3, P-D1, TX-7800,
    U-24, SR-303, SG-9800, SA-7800, SX-750, DT-400, HPM-100
    Nakamichi: DRAGON, BX300e, BX125, BX 1, CD4

I'm jamie.

Not at all mate,the more of these turntables the better
    Last edited by karma67; 15-10-2018 at 15:58.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast