+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Electrostatic/Planar Speakers

I'm Mike.

So that's what they look like. A bit peculiar with more frame than I'd imagined. Does that vertical strip at the side exude treble or what? I had expected them to be taller, too. Thanks for that; interesting.

I'm Justin.

They do get tall. Strip is the MRT - mid range and treble.

Look here: http://www.reality-audio.com/apogeespeakers.html

See Full Range, Diva, Grand.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    No. I did hear that pair though. Here they are I shot a vid.

That was one of the first restorations done in this country. They were basic Calipers, in a room way to big for them to live in.

There is simply no comparison between those and recent Caliper Sigs restorations. And no comparison between those and restored Duettas. And no comparison between restored Duettas and the special Duettas I have had made etc etc.

Here's mine, running with what I would call a "hot" crossover, and the first Accuphase monoblocks ever made (1975), proving 93+ DB is possible from 75 Watts, and hence throwing away the complete mis-conception you need a Kilowatt to drive them. 93DB is pneumatic drill type loud+.

And via 211 valve amps playing audiophile wank, mainly to compare with the Martin Logan Neolith at Munich playing the same song that I shot with the same camera.

I will re-shoot these now the crossover is where I want it using much uprated components and pulling back the mid range considerably, with a decent microphone and not some poor on-board camera mics as shot here.
    They look lovely Justin

My Maggies are sounding lovely and so much better than I anticipated

I was thinking of getting some sort of acoustic material to place behind the speakers so if anyone has any recommendations I'd really appreciate it
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    They look lovely Justin

My Maggies are sounding lovely and so much better than I anticipated

I was thinking of getting some sort of acoustic material to place behind the speakers so if anyone has any recommendations I'd really appreciate it
    Bev,

Have you sorted out the supports and got them away from the walls. There is a big danger in overdamping the room with Maggies, as the reflected sounds seem to be part of what makes them special.

Once you have them out in the room you can better judge what room treatment if any is required. If you are going the diy route, then panels made of Rockwool RWA45 seem to be the way to go.

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Rock...ck%29/p/961938

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Bev,

Have you sorted out the supports and got them away from the walls. There is a big danger in overdamping the room with Maggies, as the reflected sounds seem to be part of what makes them special.

Once you have them out in the room you can better judge what room treatment if any is required. If you are going the diy route, then panels made of Rockwool RWA45 seem to be the way to go.

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Rock...ck%29/p/961938

Geoff
    Unfortunatley as Colin is on crutches for a few weeks the supports will not be made just yet, however I just ordered some nice thick 90 deg brackets which we will use to secure the Maggies to a plinth once Colin is more active

I guess what I meant with 'room treatment' was to try and stop too much from behind the speakers going through to my lovely neighbours..

Thanks for the link on the Rockwool
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Unfortunatley as Colin is on crutches for a few weeks the supports will not be made just yet, however I just ordered some nice thick 90 deg brackets which we will use to secure the Maggies to a plinth once Colin is more active

I guess what I meant with 'room treatment' was to try and stop too much from behind the speakers going through to my lovely neighbours..

Thanks for the link on the Rockwool
    Ah! So sound insulation rather than acoustic room treatment. That is a completely different challenge and a lot more expensive. Air gaps and mass are the general route. However, If you have a large book collection, then a couple of tall and well stuffed bookcases can do wonders. Rockwool have other products for acoustic insulation that are worth checking out but it depends upon your budget and commitment to the challenge.

Geoff

BTW: You can always recycle Colin's crutches as stands once he is back on his feet!

Ah! So sound insulation rather than acoustic room treatment. That is a completely different challenge and a lot more expensive. Air gaps and mass are the general route. However, If you have a large book collection, then a couple of tall and well stuffed bookcases can do wonders. Rockwool have other products for acoustic insulation that are worth checking out but it depends upon your budget and commitment to the challenge.

Geoff

BTW: You can always recycle Colin's crutches as stands once he is back on his feet!
    Indeed Geoff

I am trying to describe the sound of the Maggies and the best I can come up with is that they sound nothing like they look... they are sweet, delicate and intimate sounding to me.. does that make any sense ?
    Bev

I'm Geoff.

Indeed Geoff

I am trying to describe the sound of the Maggies and the best I can come up with is that they sound nothing like they look... they are sweet, delicate and intimate sounding to me.. does that make any sense ?
    Yes, I recognise those attributes. However, get them properly mounted, placed and driven and I would add: muscular, effortless, and airy. It is difficult to beat Maggies for reproduction of live acoustic music.

Geoff

Yes, I recognise those attributes. However, get them properly mounted, placed and driven and I would add: muscular, effortless, and airy. It is difficult to beat Maggies for reproduction of live acoustic music.

Geoff
    I absolutely know there is much more to come from my Maggies once they are properly mounted and placed... I would agree "effortless" and "airy" is another way I would describe their sound and also no listener fatigue at all
    Bev

Strange thing about the Maggies is that even though they are about as tall as I am they don't really show up the room.. I think that is probably because they have oak side cheeks and an oatmeal coloured fabric so they just sort of blend in rather than my other speakers being dark wood affairs which stick out like a sore thumb

As we are on one word descriptions I would also describe them as 'articulate'..
    Bev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast