+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Electrostatic/Planar Speakers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Ah! So sound insulation rather than acoustic room treatment. That is a completely different challenge and a lot more expensive. Air gaps and mass are the general route. However, If you have a large book collection, then a couple of tall and well stuffed bookcases can do wonders. Rockwool have other products for acoustic insulation that are worth checking out but it depends upon your budget and commitment to the challenge.

Geoff

BTW: You can always recycle Colin's crutches as stands once he is back on his feet!
    Indeed Geoff

I am trying to describe the sound of the Maggies and the best I can come up with is that they sound nothing like they look... they are sweet, delicate and intimate sounding to me.. does that make any sense ?
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Indeed Geoff

I am trying to describe the sound of the Maggies and the best I can come up with is that they sound nothing like they look... they are sweet, delicate and intimate sounding to me.. does that make any sense ?
    Yes, I recognise those attributes. However, get them properly mounted, placed and driven and I would add: muscular, effortless, and airy. It is difficult to beat Maggies for reproduction of live acoustic music.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Yes, I recognise those attributes. However, get them properly mounted, placed and driven and I would add: muscular, effortless, and airy. It is difficult to beat Maggies for reproduction of live acoustic music.

Geoff
    I absolutely know there is much more to come from my Maggies once they are properly mounted and placed... I would agree "effortless" and "airy" is another way I would describe their sound and also no listener fatigue at all
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

Strange thing about the Maggies is that even though they are about as tall as I am they don't really show up the room.. I think that is probably because they have oak side cheeks and an oatmeal coloured fabric so they just sort of blend in rather than my other speakers being dark wood affairs which stick out like a sore thumb

As we are on one word descriptions I would also describe them as 'articulate'..
    Bev

As I don't have a lot of books, or a bookcase, does anyone have any good sound insulation recommendations?
    Bev

I'm Geoff.

No books? I have books everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    No books? I have books everywhere!
    Does the Kindle count ? I don't have enough Kindles to put behind the Maggies
    Bev

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    As I don't have a lot of books, or a bookcase, does anyone have any good sound insulation recommendations?
    As I suggested earlier, containment of sound is a major challenge typically requiring major building work (e.g. construction of false partition walls stuffed with acoustic wadding). Problem with sound is that like water, it will leak where possible. There is no cheap or simple way of stopping sound escaping from a room. If you don't have books, then LPs, cds, or anything else massy on shelving or in bookcases will help a little. A heavy fabric drape on the shared wall may help a little, especially if you have stuff on shelving behind it. You can google acoustic curtain but such fabric is expensive and needs to be supported properly.

Geoff

I'm Stephen.

See my acoustic panels in the for sale section. I can probably make more . . .
    Current kit :
    Music library (FLAC) on IMac or streamed via Qobuz. Fed wirelessly to Raspberry Pi / Allo Digione and into Lyngdorf digital amplification. This handles room correction and drives a pair of Quad 2905 electrostatics.

+ Reply to Thread