+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Electrostatic/Planar Speakers

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    By all means give it a try, it may just work, but my experience has been that most valve amps are not a great match. I mentioned the Quad as something that is easily sourced, but there are other options. What is your budget?

Geoff

Thanks for your post Geoff

I guess my budget would be £2 - £3k and I'd really prefer an integrated to be honest

What amp do you use with your Maggies ? you may have already told me but I've got a head like a sieve
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Geoff.

I reckon the 909 could be good too. Maybe best used with the 99 pre-amp though. Both items seem well liked and have been well reviewed. I have heard the 909, but not long enough to give a proper opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I reckon the 909 could be good too. Maybe best used with the 99 pre-amp though. Both items seem well liked and have been well reviewed. I have heard the 909, but not long enough to give a proper opinion.
    Thanks 2nd Geoff

The 909 and 99 are certainly not the most expensive amps and fairly readily available on the used market. It's a long time since I've owned anything Quad; the last was a 33/303 with the ESL 57's and I really enjoyed that match
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

It's my birthday next week so I'm planning a little treat for myself, speaker wise of course
    Bev

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    It's my birthday next week so I'm planning a little treat for myself, speaker wise of course
    Would there be an "M" involved?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Thanks for your post Geoff

I guess my budget would be £2 - £3k and I'd really prefer an integrated to be honest

What amp do you use with your Maggies ? you may have already told me but I've got a head like a sieve
    I am currently using a pair of Nuprime STA-9s in monoblock mode. This allows me to use very short speaker cables as the amps are positioned underneath my Maggies and connected via long xlr cables. The Nuprimes deliver 290w per channel in monoblock mode and really get a grip on the Maggies. However, I originally drove them with an Odyssey Power amp that I commissioned from the USA manufacturer, This is a high power high current power amp widely regarded as being an excellent match for the Maggies. It is as good as the Nuprimes but less convenient in terms of my domestic arrangements.

I did consider the an integrated amp and was very impressed by the Anthem 225 model. It is now discontinued but may still be available. Parasound also produce some suitable amps though when I auditioned one I thought it just a little bright for my taste.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Would there be an "M" involved?
    Yes indeed there would be Geoff... and probably a 7 in there as well....
    Bev

Thanks for the recommendations on amps Geoff...

Certainly initially I will run with the Supernait 2 but may well look into the alternatives you mentioned
    Bev

I'm Geoff.

Nah. These are what you want Bev. Fabulous, I love big Altecs. Look where they are located.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunning-....c100009.m1982

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Nah. These are what you want Bev. Fabulous, I love big Altecs. Look where they are located.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunning-....c100009.m1982

They look lovely Geoff but £4k would really push me

When I played the Rega's for the chap yesterday they sounded just lovely BUT I could hear the 'box'

Since I've owned my old Maggies I've not listened to any box type speaker and I never thought I could hear the 'box' that people keep going on about when comparing panel vs box speakers but I actually can hear it and I didn't like it so panel speakers are definitely for me
    Bev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast