+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Heybrook TT2 info thread.

I'm Shane.

That one features in one of the AoS threads I linked to above, but his link to Canuck Audiomart doesn’t work so I’m really glad you posted that. Don’t have to close my eyes. The important part of the plinth is the block in the middle. The bit round the outside’s only there to keep the dust out and hold the lid on! Beautiful job, but it does make it look bulky! Perhaps I should say imposing.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Svend.

Ah - sorry Shane, I missed your post on that. And yes, the rebuild does add a lot of bulk. Pretty much the only parts left of the original Heybrook are the subchassis, subframe, motor, platter and bearing. I wonder if it sounds any better than the original? Still, the walnut does look very classy. If I ever make up an armboard for mine, I might consider a veneer of walnut....or pear...or olive....or birdseye maple... All would look sharp against the black plinth.

I'm Shane.

Default Replacement lids

This just popped up on my eBay feed. Fabricated lids for the TT2 (or any other turntable) at less than half the price Linn charge these days. The photos look good but I have no direct experience with the seller so the normal eBay caveats apply!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-...-/173116723936

I'm Svend.

Thanks Shane. Good to know. I don't have a dust cover for mine, but the ADC arm that's on there now is too long anyway, so a cover wouldn't fit. If I ever take that arm off (unlikely), I will look at one of these. In the meantime a silk hanky is working fine to keep the dust off.

I'm Svend.

Weather was not conducive to outdoor fun yesterday, so I was house-bound again and did some playing around with platter mats last night, playing the same song with three different mats. I did this with three songs.

Some initial comments:

Thin felt -- this is is one that came with the TT2; not sure if it's original Heybrook or not. This one had the best balance of air and precision. Imaging was good, but not pinpoint. Nice speed and realism on quick transients like plucked strings. Very natural and open sounding. However, there might be some platter resonance coming through with this one -- there was an audibly apparent background of the same pitch happening with all three songs, which wasn't there with the other two mats. I'm not experienced enough with this to know what to listen for. Perhaps someone who knows this phenomena can comment? Could also be a VTA thing(?), as I did not bother to adjust this for the different mats.

Thick felt -- this one came off an old Rega Planar 3; it's more than twice as thick as the above. This was my least favourite. Imaging was all hazy and imprecise, noticeably so. Everything sounded a bit indistinct and disjointed. OTOH, it had a nice big soundstage and wonderful sense of air and room-filling sound.

Thick cork -- this was a cheap buy off Amazon; it's probably about 5/16" thick. This had by far the best imaging - pinpoint accurate. Just great control of the notes, excellent speed and attack. Very precise sounding. However, the soundstage seemed smaller, and there was a much less open and airy sound, a bit closed in. It also gave the sound a slightly nasal tone, which seems odd to say but that was my impression. I'm not sure that this was the most musical of the three, but for imaging freaks this would be the ticket.

I can't really say at this point which was my favourite -- either the cork or thin felt. I need to leave one on for a good long spell and live with it, then switch and repeat. Overall the differences were subtle, but readily noticeable, in particular switching to the cork from either felt one - that was not so subtle. I may try a leather mat at some point, as I hear good things about those. I'll be more careful to adjust VTA for longer term listening, as the ZLM cart seems very sensitive to that.

Hope this is helpful. Will update again as I do more playing around with this.

Best,
    Svend
    Last edited by Svend N; 25-01-2018 at 15:31.

I'm Shane.

Good stuff, Svend. The thin mat is almost certainly the original which was sourced from Linn. Sauce for the goose...

I’ll be interested to hear your findings with leather.

I'm Svend.

Will do Shane. Might get to that this weekend if I have time.

Any comments on the background note that I heard with the thin felt? Could that actually have been platter resonance? Or was I imagining things?

I'm Shane.

I think platter resonance is unlikely because the Q would be pretty high, so it would be easily damped out by any of the mats with the mass of an LP on top. By coincidence last night I noticed on mine that if I very light tap any part of the chassis assembly with the stylus in the runout groove, an audible thunk is generated, at around 2-300 Hz. Too low to be the platter, so I wonder if it might be the armboard pretending to be part of a marimba.

I'm Svend.

Hmmm...interesting that you don't suspect platter resonance. Could be VTA then(?), as I did not adjust between mats, and there's about 1/8" difference between the thin felt and the cork mat. I need to listen more closely to get a better sense of what's happening.

To be honest, the deck is really not that well isolated. This is one of my next projects, is to find an isolation combo that works. At the moment it's sitting on three small Michell Tenderfeet, on a particleboard shelf, inside the armoire....that's it. I really need to improve on that, starting with the deck and working my way out from there. More updates here once I start playing around with that. One thing at a time...

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    To be honest, the deck is really not that well isolated.
    Isn't the sub-chassis isolated from the outer chassis by design?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast