+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: The Heybrook TT2 info thread.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    Hope so!

is that the one that just sold on eBay?
    Probably but several have been put up for sale. I should get it next week.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Shane.

Did you get it?
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Andrew.

Yes, Shane, No - 455. Not done a great deal with it. I managed to score a NOS belt. I've an Alphason HR100S waiting to be bolted on the tonearm board. I need to find the relevant bolts, or maybe even make a new tonearm board. I've started looking for a external PSU as well, this will hopefully be switchable bewteen my TD160 super and the TT2. Am I correct in thinking the TT2 platter speed varies according to voltage variations?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Shane.

No, not significantly. It uses the same Impex/Premotec/Airpax 24 pole synchronous motor as used by Linn, Rega et al, which is also very similar to the Thorens. As such, speed is dictated by supply frequency rather than voltage. Like all synchronous motors, it will vibrate slightly if fed with a less than pure mains waveform, hence the benefit of a regenerative PSU. I’ll be interested to hear your opinion of the difference that makes.

Nice arm choice. I always liked the Alphason titanium arms.

IIRC s/no 455 should be a steel chassis version. Nice.

I'm Andrew.

Shane, hope your viewing! I've found some time to mess around with the TT2. Firstly I need to make a new baseboard. I intend using thick birch plywood, would this be ok or would you suggest something different? Is there a specific thickness to the baseboard, or would thicker and heavier be better for damping the plinth? I got the isokinetik external PSU so I'll give you some feedback when I've got the thing fully setup.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Shane.

The original baseboard was just bog-standard hardboard. Due to the way the plinth was constructed it didn’t make a huge amount of difference as I remember, but it might be worth some experimentation. 6mm birch ply maybe?

I don’t know if yours is one of the very early ones which had four M6x10 bolts for feet? If so, junk them! Changing to simple rubber bung feet tidied things up to a surprising extent.

I'm Andrew.

OK 6mm birch ply or whatever I find @ Wickes tomorrow! What oil do you recommend for the bearing, and finally is it worth using anything else other than a felt mat? The Alphason is now properly mounted, I messed around last night and fitted it. I'll probably lightly polish the spindle and inner platter, maybe polish the outer platter as well. Aseathetically the black base could do with a fresh lick of black paint and I may lightly sand and varnish the veneer, I may lightly wax it, I'm not decided yet.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Shane.

For oil, I’d avoid anything meant for use in any part of a car as these are full of additives which are vital for their intended function but no good for turntables. Any decent quality light machine oil such as sewing machine oil will do. There are all sorts of people with exotic recipes for turntable bearing oil which will probably be fine, but I doubt if they make a significant difference.

I wouldn’t worry about polishing the bearing shaft. As long as it’s clean the ground surface of the shaft helps the oil to adhere. Do check the end of the shaft for any sign of an indentation where it sits on the ball though. If there’s any wear there that won’t polish out, a local machine shop should be able to lap the end flat. If you then lift the ball out with a magnet and let it settle back in, the shaft will the sit on a new point on the ball.

Mats are a good area for experimentation. I’ve always stuck with the original felt mat the we bought in from Linn, but people have given good reports of cork, leather, hard rubber and even copper. From what I gather, you have plenty of alternatives available!

Really looking forward to hearing what you think of it!

I'm Andrew.

Thanks for all the help so far shane. Very good of you.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Shane.

Always happy to help keep a TT2 going!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast