+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why is modern pop so terrible?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I'm not so sure that it is any more or less terrible than it has ever been. The reality is that the really bad stuff from previous decades does not survive or is so seldom played nowadays that we forget about it. My musical tastes are very eclectic and I regularly play "pop" music from the 50's onwards. Some of these tunes remain in our consciousness because they were catchy or were sung well, or perhaps just because they remind us of a particular time in our lives. I agree, that much of what tops the "hit parade" today is disposable rubbish, but it has always been that way. Go back to any of the top 20 listings over the last 60 years and I thin you will find that the vast majority of the tunes were dire. Personally, I have never taken much notice of the charts, and have always based my musical choices on what I like rather than what is popular.

Geoff
    Some enlightening stuff in the link at the top on these topics - the central point being made is that it is, indeed, demonstrably, measurably, poorer than the pop of yesteryear.

I doubt many people here listen to current pop music in any case.
    Last edited by montesquieu; 16-01-2018 at 12:11.

+ Reply to Thread