+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The 6SL7GT valve & It's variants - MY ADVENTURES!

I'm Andrew.

PT IV - MULLARD MAGIC - The Mullard 6SL7GT

This is a bit arse about tit, but these are my current reference valves, so far I've not heard better in my limited experiments.

These valves major on detail and a good solid 3D soundstage. They are especially good with Jazz and vocals. They seem have a magical quality all to themselves when it comes to portrayal of note decay. I particularly like the snap and attack on drums, cymbals shimmer like no other valve that I have heard.
    There is plenty of space between instruments. The real magic of the Mullard is it's midband it's simply the best I have ever heard, I've never heard Miles Davis or Wayne Shorter sound as good. These valves when given a good recording can make a soundstage appear to float above, beyond and to the back of my Tannoys. All in all a very enjoyable valve, heartily recommended.

Next - MELZ!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Pt V - More stuff into the mix.

It's Saturday and there are two packages waiting for me at work. The first has my Tung Sol's (which I'm now listening to).

DSCN3523.jpg

A shot of the Tung sol's in the Croft.

DSCN3528.jpg

I'm now slowly removing the other Sovtek 6H9C's out of the amp and I will eventually run just three of my chosen valves.

I bought a single Brimar NOS 6SL7GT, now I just need to source another and we can have some fun.

DSCN3525.jpg

I was supposed to be reviewing the Melz 6H9C this weekend but I decided to chuck the Tung Sol's in. I've also been informed that I have another package waiting for me from the US of A with some WWII NOS 6SL7GT (General electric) I think.

Stay tuned.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Pt VI - The Tung Sol 6SL7GT

Just a few notes on these fantastic valves.

DSCN3528.jpgDSCN3523.jpg

Miles Davis - So What - Kind of Blue

- Very muscular double bass, with improved timbral detail. Paul Chambers Bass never sounded as moody.
    - A much fuller, midband. There was more of John Coltrane's sax just sounded so full, effortless.
    - Slightly more snap to drums with the cymbals have a little more sparkle and shimmer, Jimmy Cobb's delicate touch came forward.

Cal Tjader - S'Wonderful - Sessions

This 1957 recording by Chris Conner is a very close mic performance which suffers from dreadful sibilance but boy can
    she sing! I use this record more to assess the ability of a valve to dig out performace in the background. This is usually
    a very pleasent track but today I was very irritated buy the increased amount of audience noise, someone closing a door,
    someone walking across a squeaky floorboard, all details I had not heard before.

Miles Davis - Nefertiti - Nefertiti

Brush work on this track is to die for, again a completely sublime midband and a very muscular power bass. This
    recording really shows how cymbals can shimmer and sparkle. Plenty of space between the instruments. A very wide and
    expansive sound.

All in all the best 6SL7GT I've heard yet, they surpass the Mullards and go top of the list. So, here the current shoot out results.

1. Tung Sol 6SL7GT (Orange base) 9.5/10
    2. Mullard 6SL7GT (Black base) 9.25/10
    3. Sylvania 6SL7GT black base 7/10
    4. Reflektor black base 70's version 5/10

The Tung Sols have now replaced my Mullard black base 6SL7GT as my reference.

Stay tuned.

I'm Andrew.

Pt VII - More Sylvania. 6SL7GTY

This is a new one to me and will be going in the pre-amp this Sunday for evaluation. Ex military stock from the 1950's. They REALLY knew how to make valves back then. Should make for an interesting comparison against my favourite Tung Sols.

DSCN3536.jpg

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Exclamation ******* URGENT warning ****** !!!

Oh, FFS.....

Please tell me, DAFTEE, you've posted the wrong picture of what you've actually bought... IF NOT, and that's exactly what you've bought, then they are THE WRONG VALVES!!.

Look what is says on the boxes in your picture above: 12SK7GTY

Also, look at the construction, compared with the other 6SL7s you're using. It's completely the wrong item. You've bought this (a PENTODE remote cut-off valve):

http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/6sk7.pdf

Instead of this (a TWIN TRIODE):

http://www.williamsonic.com/TubeDI/6SL7GT.pdf

What you probably thought you were buying, was what I recommended earlier, which were these:

6SU7GTY - a totally different animal....!

Andy, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PUT 12SK7 VALVES IN YOUR AMP, even if they fit, as if switched on, you might destroy it and/or the speakers connected to it!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alan.

Oh dear

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

From the datasheet, the 6SU7 is a close substitute for 6SL7.
    I WILL CHECK AGAIN THOUGH.

http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/show.php?des=6SU7GTY

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/127/6/6188.pdf
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

Hi Anthony,

The 6SU7 is a close substitute, as I use them in the Croft, and they're great. The problem is, Andy appears to have bought 12SK7s.............!!

Scroll up mate, and read what's been posted again, particularly see the picture in post #24.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

Whoa, calm down! It's the wrong picture! I've saved numerous pictures from ebay to make comparisons with respects to the various valve vintages and variants. I've not purchased a pair of 12SK7GTY's so you have nothing to worry about although I'm flattered you took the time to point out my potential f*** up.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Whoa, calm down! It's the wrong picture! I've saved numerous pictures from ebay to make comparisons with respects to the various valve vintages and variants. I've not purchased a pair of 12SK7GTY's so you have nothing to worry about although I'm flattered you took the time to point out my potential f*** up.
    Lol - thank fuck for that!

I thought that might've be the case, hence why I mentioned it. So..... What did you *actually* buy, and could we have a picture of that instead?

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast