Part 1 - Intro!

This year I decided to properly get into tube rolling on the Croft pre-amp.

I decided to embark on some adventures with the 6SL7GT so far I have tried the following

Mullard 6SL7GT - UK
RCA black base 6SL7GT (AMERICAN)
Reflector 6H9C (Russian) - Non military version
Sylvania black base 6SL7GT - USA

On order

MELZ 6H9C Metallica base
MELZ 6H9C Black base

Currently trying to do a deal on some General Electric (USA) 6SL7GT'S

I'll post some pics and findings as I get time.

So my first valve. The Reflector 6H9C (NON MILITARY version)

Reflector 6SL7 69HC with box 01.JPG

This is not my image. My camera's battery was exhausted. These can be purchased very cheaply from Russia or Watford valves if you don't want the hassle of e$cum. I would heartily recommend trying this valve out purely for so you get some idea of how the valve can be bettered. It's only when you hear a so-so valve do you then start to appreciate just how good things can be. It's an inoffensive valve which is pretty much middle of the road. It's not very detailed when compared to the Sylvania's and Mullard's of this world but for a cheap starter it's perfectly ok. I'd probably keep a set of this in my box as spares when testing out new amp purchases when I dont want to put additional hours of some of my rarer valves. It's not particularly good at soundstage depth or instrument separation and timbral detail is severely lacking. This valve is magical in being a benchmark of how crapiness (sic). But, as stated if you learn it's weaknesses you can then appreciate a really good valve.

STAY TOOBED!