+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do we have here?........Denon 301 MK2

I'm jamie.

its like my 103sa,i just play records and in enjoy them,yes i know it hasn't got the detail of say a cadenza black but theres something about the sound it produces that leaves me content and no desire to fiddle,something the big buck cartridges ive tried of late coudn't do.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    its like my 103sa,i just play records and in enjoy them,yes i know it hasn't got the detail of say a cadenza black but theres something about the sound it produces that leaves me content and no desire to fiddle,something the big buck cartridges ive tried of late coudn't do.
    There's a problem I find when spending so much money on a cartridge. I find myself over analysing everything it does instead of listening to the song. The 301 is a really enjoyable cart and for £225 new (from Japan) it's a real bargain. Luckily, the Kontrapunt B is just about perfect to me (just a tad light in the mids but not a deal breaker) so no longer on the hunt although a nicely priced AT-ART7/9 May make me change my mind!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm James.

The 301 gives you 90% of what you want at £225. To get that extra 10% can cost another £250-£750!

Just a thought.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The 301 gives you 90% of what you want at £225. To get that extra 10% can cost another £250-£750!

Just a thought.
    Ah, but that 10% can make all the difference from good to great.

Ive enjoyed listening to it mate but the Kontrapunkt went back on today and that 10% feels massive now.

The biggest difference between the two is space. The sound is more defined and there is more room for the musicians. The Denon is a little bit forward and the Kontrapunkt is more detailed. I prefer the tone of the Denon but the Kontrapunkt is better in more areas which now feel essential.

@£225 for a brand new one, it'll be hard to beat in that price range.

The Goldring Eroica is another but that's £400+ new and differences will have to be tested. I'll strap the Eroica on and see how it compares to the Denon.

The Kontrapunkt is different class. I'd love to hear a Cadenza Black or Jubilee after what I've heard now.

I'm James.

I agree Oli 10% can make all the difference. I thought you would find it interesting listening to the 301. It was not intended as an alternative to the Kontrapunkt which I am sure is a better cartridge.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts on the Eroica. Cadenza black out of my price range.

No reasonable priced new Denon DL S1 on the market so I am thinking of other options......? I am also concerned about tonearm compatibility. So it may have to be something more modern and easily available.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I agree Oli 10% can make all the difference. I thought you would find it interesting listening to the 301. It was not intended as an alternative to the Kontrapunkt which I am sure is a better cartridge.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts on the Eroica. Cadenza black out of my price range.

No reasonable priced new Denon DL S1 on the market so I am thinking of other options......? I am also concerned about tonearm compatibility. So it may have to be something more modern and easily available.
    Theres a used one on eBay?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12