+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Short but sweet time with Member Andy - SMANGUS

I'm Rob.

Rob, I don't know if you ever saw Bob Marley live, but I got the chance in the early 70s when he did a set at the Greyhound pub in Fulham. I don't think he was that well known then and the venue was only sparsely populated. They had a stage underneath a spiral staircase and I was hanging over part of it and could have reached out and touched him. My fave album is Catch A Fire, as you probably know the sleeve was a flip top lighter (very cool), i don't know what happened to it, but suspect a mate nicked it

I bought a CD copy a few years ago......bloody 'ell!........ it bore no resemblance to the vinyl version and sounded dreadful.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Rob, I don't know if you ever saw Bob Marley live, but I got the chance in the early 70s when he did a set at the Greyhound pub in Fulham. I don't think he was that well known then and the venue was only sparsely populated. They had a stage underneath a spiral staircase and I was hanging over part of it and could have reached out and touched him. My fave album is Catch A Fire, as you probably know the sleeve was a flip top lighter (very cool), i don't know what happened to it, but suspect a mate nicked it

I bought a CD copy a few years ago......bloody 'ell!........ it bore no resemblance to the vinyl version and sounded dreadful.
    You're a lucky fella Rob to have seen the legend live and in those early days on his road to global fame and success.

Unfortunately he passed in 1981 the year I left school so I wasnt fortunate enough to have that pleasure which I most certainly would have sought to have done even then.

I have a near minty copy of the said rare Zippo, original 1973 press - You can see it in the background of my set up here http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...sic-Maker-2017

As you know only so many of the original were produced world wide.

Subsequent copies had the well known shot of Bob's full face pulling on a big fat split - There's some good info about the album and its release here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch_a_Fire

It was the first album Bob and The Wailers did for Island after Chris Blackwell signed them, the rest is history

Oh and yes, some CD's (not all) are no match for the analogue original....
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Hi some pics a requested!

cheers Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

1 more
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Robert.

Nice one Andy, Just logged in during my lunch break

Lovely looking Panzerwood record weight you have there by the way - impeccable taste and the same as the one I use
    My System:
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm tony.

Lovely write up Rob-real passion about music and appreciation of someone elses system.

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    You're a lucky fella Rob to have seen the legend live and in those early days on his road to global fame and success.

Unfortunately he passed in 1981 the year I left school so I wasnt fortunate enough to have that pleasure which I most certainly would have sought to have done even then.

I have a near minty copy of the said rare Zippo, original 1973 press - You can see it in the background of my set up here http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...sic-Maker-2017

As you know only so many of the original were produced world wide.

Subsequent copies had the well known shot of Bob's full face pulling on a big fat split - There's some good info about the album and its release here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch_a_Fire

It was the first album Bob and The Wailers did for Island after Chris Blackwell signed them, the rest is history

Oh and yes, some CD's (not all) are no match for the analogue original....
    Nice to see another Marley fan, Robbie.

That LP has pride of place on my wall.

I was working in Kingston for a while in the mid 80s and on my visit to 56 Hope Road I asked the curator if it was true that Georgie (logwood burning through the night...) was living there. She explained that Bob had made provision for Georgie and I was taken into the back of the property to meet him. It was quite a moment when someone in a song becomes real. In an interview I subsequently learned (from Joe Higgs) that because Georgie had mental health issues Bob had made sure he was properly looked after and had somewhere safe to live.

BTW - that cotton tree in my avatar is where the duppies live!

Gordon

I'm Rob.

Don't make me jealous Gordon! I assume that the Zippo Catch a Fire is either long gone or the stuff of lottery wins.

"BTW - that cotton tree in my avatar is where the duppies live!"

Ah yes, were they ever conquered?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Robert.

Some cool Music art there Gordon

Rob, the original Zippo Catch A Fire, UK Press cat no. ILPS 9241 turns up on ebay.

Price depends on condition as is with these things.

Many suffer broken hinges, tatty covers and strong ringwear.

Expect to pay around £100+ for something worth having and more than playable condition up to £300+ for the really nice examples (like mine)
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12