+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cold snap.

I'm Steve.

Exclamation The cold snap.

It has been a real shock to me these past few days whilst being partially cut off and unable to travel very far at the effects such low temperatures have on hi-fi components. Especially speakers and headphones. I thought that my Senheisser headphones were Donald Ducked as I was getting hardly any bass from them and they sounded brittle and course. After the heating had been on for half an hour they were a totally different beast. Same with my speakers. Anyone else experienced this?

I'm tony.

Took the 57s out of the cellar last night needed at least an hour to come on song.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    It has been a real shock to me these past few days whilst being partially cut off and unable to travel very far at the effects such low temperatures have on hi-fi components. Especially speakers and headphones. I thought that my Senheisser headphones were Donald Ducked as I was getting hardly any bass from them and they sounded brittle and course. After the heating had been on for half an hour they were a totally different beast. Same with my speakers. Anyone else experienced this?
    Unless the ambient temperature in your room was well below zero I would suggest that it was more likely that you and your ears were performing below par.

I'm James.

Hi Steve,

I had the same issue with my system, hardly any bass. When you think of it though the main transducers (Cartridge and Speakers) rely on rubber components which have to be at optimised operating temperature usually around 18-21oC. My room was 15oC so well below and it was not until an hour into playing my bass returned.

Your not imagining it mate.

I'm Brian.

Yup , I thought my system wasn't sounding great the last few days . I started changing interconnects around
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm paul.

Regardless of temperature but certainly more noticeable in the winter that my speakers sound better after an hour and a pair of PX25 monoblocks I used with lowthers needed an hour to sound their best. The lowthers revealed that more than any other speakers. At Scalford one year the fella in the next room had got his kit running and I had a listen and it didn't sound so good but at the end of the day when you'd have thought I'd had enough I went back after packing up and his kit was right on song.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Geoff.

Do you not think that many of these problems might be due to the increased demands on the power supply. I am lucky in that I have a new and very well insulated house, but I know many people with central heating who are using electric heaters in conservatories and other harder to heat rooms.

Geoff

I'm James.

My house is very old and leaks heat like a sieve. It only gets warm enough when I have both fires going and the central heating on.

I have observed this reduction in bass before but in combination with a cold valve amp my system really takes a good hour before it sounds right. I am sure the rubber surrounds on my speakers are the main culprit although the cartridge is just as bad? I am sure I would have none of these issues in a modern insulated house.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi Steve,

I had the same issue with my system, hardly any bass. When you think of it though the main transducers (Cartridge and Speakers) rely on rubber components which have to be at optimised operating temperature usually around 18-21oC. My room was 15oC so well below and it was not until an hour into playing my bass returned.

Your not imagining it mate.
    Thanks James. Yes indeed my Heco Statements i know are extremely temperature dependant and need to be played at normal room temp for at least twenty mins have been shite these passed four days. I am relieved to hear your comments.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Do you not think that many of these problems might be due to the increased demands on the power supply. I am lucky in that I have a new and very well insulated house, but I know many people with central heating who are using electric heaters in conservatories and other harder to heat rooms.

Geoff
    Yes i would say that this could well be a contributing fact also.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast