+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dipping my toes into the World of Valves

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Tony.

Default Dipping my toes into the World of Valves

Have decided to trade in the AA Puccini and have ordered an Icon Audio Stereo 20PP.

I figure the power won't be an issue as I never listen at volume in the flat and the MS 700 are reasonably easy to drive.

At this point in time I'm happy to compromise on the top and bottom ends in order to experience a bit of midrange heaven.

Now looking forward to listening to this interesting mix of decades.... 2017 (Allo BOSS DAC), 50's amp design foundation (20PP) and 70's speakers (MS 700)

Tony
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Geoff.

Have you listened to the amp you're buying?

I'm Tony.

Not on my speakers in my room as there's no practical way of me doing that but did listen when getting my amp serviced recently (there were a few IA amp models in the audition room). The Little Dot Mk II has also been showing me some of what I've been missing too.
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Geoff.

Not wishing to be negative, the amp may sound fine with your MS speakers, but I had one briefly and it did not work happily with my Tannoys.

I'm Tony.

I guess it's always going to be a risk if you can't audition in your own environment but I've tried to mitigate the risks by going for a reputable (and UK based) brand, that will be easy to shift if it doesn't work out. What were the issues for you Geoff?

I'm Geoff.

There was nothing wrong with the frequency balance, but I found the sound a bit flat and two dimensional. The "midrange heaven", as you describe it, was not there for me, which is most unusual for an EL84 amp. The Tannoys are very revealing and are easy to drive. They display amp characteristics very well.

Hopefully it will be fine in your system, but as you say, it's an amp that would be easy to sell on.

Icon Audio amps are made by MingDa (Meixing) in China to Icon's spec. Some are direct derivatives of MingDa models. MingDa amps are some of the best to come from China. There are a few members using them happily. I own a MingDa TVC pre-amp and that's not going anywhere.

I'm gone.

Good luck with it, Tony.

My gosh - what a lot of negative vibes!
    It sounds to me like you know exactly what you are doing and have a realistic set of expectations - which with my own (quite extensive) experience of el84 amps I would expect to be exceeded!
    Nice things, I love them to bits although I haven't come across your particular model.

No, they won't shake the walls and have plaster dust coming down with most speakers, but by the sound of it that isn't your objective. They do usually get to the heart of the music, though. el84 are my favourite power valve for that very reason. Others valve types I have tried can be more 'impressive', but none are more musical imho.

Tannoys. Yes, well. I thought it was generally recognised these days that you want 50wpc of push-pull valve amp to get a proper grip on them?
    Two el84 a side can't be expected to do that.

Nice review - which I am sure you have seen! - here http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/art...pound;500/8887

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Good luck with it, Tony.

My gosh - what a lit of negative vibes!
    It sounds to me like you know exactly what you are doing and have a realistic set of expectations - which with my own (quite extensive) experience of el84 amps I would expect to be exceeded!
    Nice things, I love them to bits although I haven't come across your particular model.

No, they won't shake the walls and have plaster dust coming down with most speakers, but by the sound of it that isn't your objective. They do usually get to the heart of the music, though. el84 are my favourite power valve for that very reason. Others I have tried can be more 'impressive', but none are more musical imho.

Tannoys. Yes, well. I thought it was generally recognised these days that you want 50wpc of push-pull valve amp to get a proper grip on them?
    Thanks Jerry!

Yes, getting nearer to the heart of the music is exactly what I'm looking for, within the limitations of my current environment of course.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Not so.

The twelve watt Leak Stereo 20 has a pair of EL84's per side and can drive Tannoys perfectly well.

I've used 200 watt plus amps with Tannoys, but it's absolutely not necessary. I drove mine with 15 watt monos for years and had plenty of grip, and more than enough power.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not so.

The twelve watt Leak Stereo 20 has a pair of EL84's per side and can drive Tannoys perfectly well.

I've used 200 watt plus amps with Tannoys, but it's absolutely not necessary. I drove mine with 15 watt monos for years and had plenty of grip, and more than enough power.
    Yip, the WAD EL84 power amp that Tony is selling was excellent on my Tannoys, I think it's only about 15-18w and I could get to 10 on the Spinal Tap scale only reason I spent £100's more was because I wanted to get to 11

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast