+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey....guess what I’m about to do? [Major Oppo mods]

I'm Gary.

Gene,
    Hi there, thought I'd recognized the name.
    we spoke over on the PS Audio forum about the Oppo mods, good to see you here.

Quote Originally Posted by highstream View Post
    Is there someone(s) on the forum who would be able to identify stock 203 boards - or if they have been modified? I'm dealing with a sticky issue and want to find out if I got ripped off by a modifying service, whether intentionally or unintentionally (if I was, I'll identify them later).

I've attached photos of the three boards from my Oppo 203, to ask if they look like the original boards as they came from Oppo, or if they have look like they have been modified. As far as I can tell, they all look stock except for the one I have labeled "Main Board" (that's the board which sits on the back right as one faces the 203 and has the HDMI ports). That board looks stock except it has the Toslink connector removed and there are two pieces of damping material on the heat sink for the main processor. That aside, do these boards look like the original boards to you? Thanks,

Attachment 24328

Attachment 24329

Attachment 24330
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Simon.

Check the cap models, but yup they look identical to stock.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Gene.

On the power supply board - first image on this site - all the larger caps are ACON. In the second image, the analog board, the big caps on the left are ACON x 2 up front and ELNA the six behind. On that board, the two small caps front left center are ELNA and ACON, while I think all the rest of the little ones are ELNA. Since the mod is described as cap focused, it's good to be sure about those (not that changing a few caps should cost $395).

I'm Gary.

Physically checking my power board...its not being used so checking caps.
    Any Elna caps have been swapped out I think.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by highstream View Post
    On the power supply board - first image on this site - all the larger caps are ACON. In the second image, the analog board, the big caps on the left are ACON x 2 up front and ELNA the six behind. On that board, the two small caps front left center are ELNA and ACON, while I think all the rest of the little ones are ELNA. Since the mod is described as cap focused, it's good to be sure about those (not that changing a few caps should cost $395).
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gene.

Our original power boards look identical.

I'm Gary.

OCXO femto clock upgrade done last night over at Tirna Electronics.
    Quick listen this morning before work at very low volume.
    Immediately different sounding...the clock upgrade has changed things significantly.
    Good stuff.

Follow up installation pics and further impressions when I have a few days with it.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 08-10-2018 at 13:49.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Physically checking my power board...its not being used so checking caps.
    Any Elna caps have been swapped out I think.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    All the 'smaller caps covered in rubber' are in fact inductors used in the filtering. Clue in the designation - L not C.

As you were .......

I'm Gene.

From what I'm told, the OCXO is actually not a femto, and it is not presented as such on Oppomod's site. A femto is a chip that puts out different clock frequencies to a clock. The OCXO is just a type of oscillating clock with its own frequency.

I'm Gary.

Uhm...ok?

Femto, as well as being a brand name, is a unit of measure...nano...pico...femto...relating (in this case) to clock accuracy measured in ppm.
    Whether oven controlled or temperature controlled clocks, it doesnt matter in this case.
    The Oppomod clock board generates both 25 and 27 Mhz by the way.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 08-10-2018 at 22:11.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Grant.

Femto...sounds like a fizzy drink
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast