+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey....guess what I’m about to do? [Major Oppo mods]

I'm Gary.

Your first on the list mate when I next get the troops over.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    First on teh list mate when I next get the troops over.
    great... look forward to it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gareth.

My Oppo 203 was given the Oppomod.com treatment on Monday. Took around an hour to install but only because the Furutech FI-06 R IEC had to be modified to fit through the rear panel.

The before internal picture, BD-ROM stabiliser and silver power cables had been installed a few weeks ago:

Original PSU out, MR/MZ internal chip and Arctic 50x50x1mm thermal pad fitted:

Oppomod 203 SE LPM with circuit breaker installed:

The all-important lit yellow LED showing power reaching the circuits:

Furutech IEC and JCM Audio AC Line Purifier fitted. Took a punt on the JCM device having read about it on a French AV forum. For the money it seemed worth doing (the HongKongBasket Furutech IEC with silver cabling would have cost more)

Very pleased with the end result, a much cleaner picture for starters. Not cheap though, total outlay has been around £700 including the OCXO clock module still to be fitted (struggling to find someone to do the SMD reworking), but this player is a keeper. No need to change to anything else for the foreseeable future.

I'm Grant.

great stuff. thats a big tx in there now
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm JD.

Quote Originally Posted by Getgaff View Post
    The before internal picture, BD-ROM stabiliser and silver power cables had been installed a few weeks ago:
    What effect did the silver-plated copper wires have?

I'm Gareth.

Quote Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
    What effect did the silver-plated copper wires have?
    Darker blacks, brighter whites, sublime colours with a greater depth of vision...

Seriously, fcuk all difference (probably).

I'm Gary.

Darker blacks, brighter whites, sublime colours with a greater depth of vision...

Seriously, fcuk all difference (probably).
    I respectfully disagree, but appreciate the humour.

Picked up the silver plated 8 pin cable this afternoon from the sorting office fitted it and just sat down to watch a movie.
    Switched the player on after fitting the cable, leaving the player on for 10 mins or so to get some scran and for the OCXO clock to get to temperature.

The Oppo screensaver had kicked in when I sat down to put the film and and I was struck by how sharper and brighter the moving logo was.
    (Yes...I know how that sounds lol)
    It looked pixelated at its edges, never was before and I wasn’t looking for it obviously.
    Just grabbed my attention... I could just see it.

I’m not mad btw, my calibrated 65” OLED shows pretty much whatever it’s fed as good as it can feed it and it honestly was a ‘whoa’ moment.
    The cable is the link between the power supply (the Oppomod SE is a good one, the guy who fitted my OCXO clock board was curious and hooked it up to a scope and looked at the traces) and the Oppo’s main board...so it’s important.

A reasonable theory might be the OCXO board is now able to really do its stuff with a better power feed with the silver plated cable from the psu.

Everything matters in this game, Gareth get that clock board fitted mate.

Oh, the screensaver was good and drew my attention - the movie..crikey.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Interested in that line purifier btw, could you tell me a little about it Gareth please?
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gareth.

There’s not too much info on the AC Purifier, but run these through Google translate:

https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/...t30083232.html
    http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/viewt...39919&start=45

Hope to have the OCXO board fitted w/c 07.01.19

I'm Gary.

There’s not too much info on the AC Purifier, but run these through Google translate:

https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/...t30083232.html
    http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/viewt...39919&start=45

Hope to have the OCXO board fitted w/c 07.01.19
    Good stuff Gareth, thanks for the links.

The OCXO board is a significant upgrade on both audio and video. It’ll improve things again.
    The Oppo 203 is a bit special and worth all the mods.

It was when I found out PS Audio and even MSB based their mega bucks streamers on the 203’s internals that I got interested.
    Even if I get a little of the bit towards those guys over the standard Oppo...I’ll be happy.
    Runs great into my dac over i2s.

Whats your take on disk playback from the Oppo after the mods you’ve done?
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast