+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey....guess what I’m about to do? [Major Oppo mods]

I'm inthescottishmafia.

It has, like to try my otl on the Edingdales too.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Gary.

Yup, should be an interesting one that.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I’m having Colin build me a pair of his MLTL’s with the Monacor 10” coaxial driver he discovered, same as he built for Chris (Stratmangler). No room in my wee flat for OB’s, so these will be a good alternative. Nice and sensitive too, 96db for bass/mid and 105db on the teeeter, so should sing with otl’s.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    I’m having Colin build me a pair of his MLTL’s with the Monacor 10” coaxial driver he discovered, same as he built for Chris (Stratmangler). No room in my wee flat for OB’s, so these will be a good alternative. Nice and sensitive too, 96db for bass/mid and 105db on the teeeter, so should sing with otl’s.
    I'm delighted with mine
    I've been playing more music in the last few months than I ever have done.
    I really appreciate the resolution and coherence they have.
    Couple that with the rhythmical ability they have (they start and stop on a sixpence), and you have a long term speaker solution.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Looking forward to hearing them at home Chris, they sounded great at Colin’s.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Gary.

OCXO clock uograde going in this weekend...
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Simon.

Gaz, 0.01ppm, that pretty much makes that the most accurate audio clock ever made. 100x times better than the New Class D Neutron reference clock; a device so accurate it requires a special export licence. Surely that graph is only telling part of the story?
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Gary.

No doubt Si.

Far more to digital playback than mitigating timing errors as we know.
    Stout power supply and all that other relevant stuffs in place I think, this was the cream on the top.

Purely on the jitter side of things though, the things been measured as is...but like all things in hifi, it depends...and I’m taking its overall effect with a pinch of salt.
    Spec Sheet PDF on the clock module is here:
    http://www.sbtron.co.kr/korean/produ...oc_25_sine.pdf

It’ll be far better (by whatever metric) than the stock Oppo clock, and if it even gets close to DCS levels of accuracy (on paper it measures a factor of 10 better...but then reality sets in) then I’ll be happy and call it done.

A bigger factor I think is that my PS Audio Directstream dac is pretty input agnostic?
    Every input is read as i2s by the FPGA before its low pass filtered through the output transformer - so phase noise, not jitter, is a bigger potential hit.
    The phase noise specs of the new clock are extremely good, but not up to the internal clock of the Directstream.
    Magnitudes better than the stock Oppo clock though, which is what I was shooting for.
    May have a bigger impact on video quality, we shall see.

Anyroadup..
    Just want to give the Oppo as much of a fighting chance as it can get, the idea being get it right then be happy and forget it.
    All about the bigger picture as always.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 06-10-2018 at 07:52.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gene.

Default Are these stock Oppo 203 boards?

Is there someone(s) on the forum who would be able to identify stock 203 boards - or if they have been modified? I'm dealing with a sticky issue and want to find out if I got ripped off by a modifying service, whether intentionally or unintentionally (if I was, I'll identify them later).

I've attached photos of the three boards from my Oppo 203, to ask if they look like the original boards as they came from Oppo, or if they have look like they have been modified. As far as I can tell, they all look stock except for the one I have labeled "Main Board" (that's the board which sits on the back right as one faces the 203 and has the HDMI ports). That board looks stock except it has the Toslink connector removed and there are two pieces of damping material on the heat sink for the main processor. That aside, do these boards look like the original boards to you? Thanks,

Oppo 203 Power Supply Board 10-5-18 - 1.jpg

Oppo 203 analog board 10-5-18 - 1.jpg

Oppo 203 main board 10-5-18 - 1.jpg

I'm Gary.

Good images of stock 203 in my thread here and this ones a good reference as well:

My opinion (to be taken just as such...)

IMAGE 1
    Power supply board is stock, compared directly with my own board and looks identical.
    Cant tell if the cheap caps have been swapped out, but from your photo they look the same as stock.
    *Check branding on them, what does it say on the caps?

IMAGE 2
    Again, looks identical to stock board.
    Cant tell about the caps.

IMAGE 3
    Aside the dampening strips on heat sink and removal of Toslink input, board looks identical to stock.
    No caps this time, so I'm pretty sure of this.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast