+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Hey....guess what I知 about to do? [Major Oppo mods]

I'm JD.

- Is anyone else waiting for OppoMod's firmware update for the HDMI board to correct the L/R channels output? I'm using the HDMI output into an LKS DAC.

- Received the silver power cables from China and had some issues trying to insert the short cable (way harder than it should have been). Upon closer inspection, I noticed some of the wires at the connection point had not been properly trimmed. I removed and trimmed the ends of about 5 of the connections. Some photos to help out anyone doing this in the future.

Inspect from the top down and look for wire ends that block the pin insertion. In this photo, two of the six have excess wire leads.

Here is a photo of the excess wire end that needs to be trimmed off. I used electronic cutters.

Last edited by Monolith; 19-01-2019 at 13:19.

I'm Gary.

Oppomod firmware update for i2s board?

tell me more?
    Last edited by Gazjam; 19-01-2019 at 04:45.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm JD.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Oppomod firmware update for i2s board?

tell me more?
    I installed my I2S HDMI card back in November 2018. The output for both PCM and DSD had the L and R channels swapped for what my LKS DAC was expecting. I contacted OppoMod and was told that they were working on a firmware update to correct the L/R channel output. However, the firmware update cannot be user installed and will require a new I2S HDMI board. I'm still waiting for updates from OppoMod. Some people have had L/R channel issues and some have not. I was hoping that I would get a later revision board without the channel swapping being an issue for my DAC. I'm running with my left and right DAC output cables swapped to correct the channels.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
    I installed my I2S HDMI card back in November 2018. The output for both PCM and DSD had the L and R channels swapped for what my LKS DAC was expecting. I contacted OppoMod and was told that they were working on a firmware update to correct the L/R channel output. However, the firmware update cannot be user installed and will require a new I2S HDMI board. I'm still waiting for updates from OppoMod. Some people have had L/R channel issues and some have not. I was hoping that I would get a later revision board without the channel swapping being an issue for my DAC. I'm running with my left and right DAC output cables swapped to correct the channels.
    Ah right...
    Channels sound ok into my Directstream dac, so maybe have a later board...or I’ve swapped the interconnects around without realising!

I know with some 3rd party i2s output boards, despite sticking with PS Audio specs the channels can be reversed when playing DSD.
    I’d heard Jaehong had addressed this, but hadn’t known he’d looked at a firmware fix over hardware.

With the silver power cable, suspect you’ve just been unlucky...which is never a nice thing.
    No problems here, but thanks for passing on what you’ve worked out.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 19-01-2019 at 05:01.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

All the stuff has had time to burn in now, and big improvement over how it was initially.
    Wow.

Roon endpoint, CD player, SACD/DVD audio player, 1080p upscaler, 4K Netflix Dolby Digital/ YouTube/ native 4K disc player...WOW.
    Mods cost more than the player (just!) but took it to a completely different level.

Put in the research, time and spondoolies to never worry about a disc player again?
    It does all that...and (along with an Nvidia Shield via the Oppo’s HDMI input) everything else network streaming related better than than anything you could possibly need, or I’ve seen in my system.
    Example: Well recorded YouTube live music via the Oppo/Nvidia can be as good quality than my vinyl setup.
    (hint: my record player isn’t an HMV usb record spinner, it’s actually pretty good)

Marvellous piece of kit, sadly no longer made by Oppo.
    R.I.P.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 06-03-2019 at 05:39.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Martin.

Hi Gazjam,

Thanks for this, and interesting journey.

I use an Oppo 105D and use it for background when I am working and it is very good, as long as I use Kazoo and NOT the Oppo app. That said it is not as good as my Linn Klimax/EAR868, but them look at the cost disparity. Your mods are tempting!

M

I'm Gary.

The mods have taken the stock Oppo 203 to a different level, and it was no slouch to begin with!
    Lifes too short...go for it!

AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm julian.

Hi Gaz,
    Good reading, thanks for all the info.
    Which I2S cables did you try, what were the differences and what did you settle on ?
    Apologies if you have posted this elsewhere.
    Kind regards,
    Julian
    PS Audio Directstream DAC, modified Dennon DVD player, SP10, Trans Fi linear tracker, Stack audio streamer
    1980's Aloia 6L6 prototype, Cat's Whiskers Autum Leaves 300 B mono blocks, Definative Audio modded Rogue 88 Magmum 6550. Firebottle LDR battery pre. Classe 103, Herron VT2
    RFC Tannoy Cheviot's,Wilmslow Audio modified Chario Academy Millenium II's,Frankenstein DIY's, Oris Onken horns, Fostek full range drivers
    Ripnas etc

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by joolz View Post
    Hi Gaz,
    Good reading, thanks for all the info.
    Which I2S cables did you try, what were the differences and what did you settle on ?
    Apologies if you have posted this elsewhere.
    Kind regards,
    Julian
    Hey Julian, how you doing?

As is my wont with this stuff, I致e posted another thread on my HDMI journey.
    See it here:

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...-schennanigans
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm julian.

Thanks Gaz,
    all good here, thanks for the info, any more observations now that things have settled in ?

Best,
    Julian
    PS Audio Directstream DAC, modified Dennon DVD player, SP10, Trans Fi linear tracker, Stack audio streamer
    1980's Aloia 6L6 prototype, Cat's Whiskers Autum Leaves 300 B mono blocks, Definative Audio modded Rogue 88 Magmum 6550. Firebottle LDR battery pre. Classe 103, Herron VT2
    RFC Tannoy Cheviot's,Wilmslow Audio modified Chario Academy Millenium II's,Frankenstein DIY's, Oris Onken horns, Fostek full range drivers
    Ripnas etc

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast