+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Impulse H2 Speakers (RFC Refurbished)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm James.

Default Impulse H2 Speakers (RFC Refurbished)

Hi all,

After much consideration I’ve decided to sell my beloved Impulse H2 speakers. These speakers were in a bad way when I purchased them, which is why I sent them to Paul Coupe at RFC who did a stunning job of refurbishing them. Paul documented the refurbishment of these speakers on his website:

http://www.referencefidelitycomponen...-loudspeakers/

There was a significant amount of work done to restore these speakers to better than new condition. I recommend following the link above, where Paul has documented the step-by-step restoration process. They have a NOS Seas mid driver and the original Focal tweeter has been replaced with a Seas unit. The sides are finished in a beautiful oak veneer and all the cloth was replaced, including the grills.

These speakers have external crossovers and Paul used high quality parts throughout.

I’ve owned these speakers for two and a half years. In that time I’ve had ART Alnico 8 speakers and Tune Audio Prime’s side-by-side with my H2’s in my listening room. The H2’s to my ears are better than both of these speakers. I have driven them with my OTO Phono SE Signature amp (10w) and a First Watt VFET amp (20w) with great results. Gone is the tough amplifier load that the original crossover presented.

Cosmetically there are a couple of points to note:

1). On one of the grills, two out of the three pegs have snapped off. I’ll try and source replacements in the meantime.
    2). In loading the speakers into my car, I have managed to chip the veneer on one of the speaker sides. It’s at the back of the speaker and not visible unless you look closely. I’ve not measured it but I estimate it’s 5mm at most.
    3). The top plate on the mid-horns move slightly if pressure is applied to them. This is something to watch if they’re going to be put on their back for transportation, otherwise it’s not an issue as they’re held firmly in place by the cloth.

I could wax lyrical about how brilliant these speakers sound, but I’ll let your ears be the judge, by way of a demo if you’re interested. The only reason I’m selling is because I am considering a pair of Paul’s Tannoy-based speakers. Otherwise they would be staying put .

I’m looking for £1600, collected from Solihull in the West Midlands. They weigh a ton so there’s no chance of posting them.

Last edited by Brumjam; 07-01-2018 at 23:57.

+ Reply to Thread