+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Q Acoustics 3050 speaker

I'm steve.

Just to round the thread up, I finished up getting an Amptastic Mini 1 which I’ve found outperforms the Yamaha AS501 by a considerable margin, obviously within it lower power envelope but for a second system it’s certainly enough. Although a good overall improvement I still found the treble a little lacking so I installed the AU Lab software on my Mac which allowed me to add a bit of necessary EQ to get the balance right. The Jordan’s now sound excellent particularly with the addition of the Xiang Sheng DAC 01 which has upped the performance even more, hopefully that’s the last of the spending now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm steve.

Default Q Acoustics 3050 speaker

I just thought I’d add a little to this old thread I started rather than starting a new one. Since the last post quite a lot has changed, firstly I finished up selling the Jordan VTLs and replaced them with Q Acoustics Concept 20s. Because of ongoing problems with multiple faults on the Xiang Sheng DAC I decided to sell the Amptastic Mini and get a combined DAC/amp, I bought the very reasonably priced SMSL AD18 which has proved to be a bit of a revelation.
    It amazes me that something so inexpensive and small can pack in so much, optical digital, Bluetooth and USB as well as an analogue input, even a subwoofer output and DSP EQ presets as well as conventional tone controls, and of course remote control. The 80w/4ohms is not too shabby either, all that for £120, a real bargain that sounds excellent.
    After having the Concept 20s in use with it in the bedroom for several weeks it became obvious that in many ways they were superior to the 3050s in the main setup so they were transferred downstairs where they have been in use for almost 2 months now. In the living room without a rear wall for bass enhancement the bottom end is obviously no match for the 3050s but in every other area they’re a cut above and what bass there is, is faster and better textured if lacking ultimate weight and extension. After procrastinating for a while I decided to sell the 3050s, their new owner collected them yesterday enabling me to put in an order for their replacements which will be arriving on Monday. Because of my love affair with the Concept 20s, the 3050s replacement could only be the Concept 40 floor standers. I’ve no doubt the Concept 40s will give me the improvement in the bass that I’m after with all the same positive qualities that I’ve been enjoying with the Concept 20s for the last couple of months, I certainly hope this will be the last speaker change, particularly going a bit more upmarket and paying the thick end of £1k for them. Once I’ve had them up and running for a while and given them a decent break in time I’ll report back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by steve-z; 07-10-2018 at 10:47.

I'm steve.

Q Acoustics Concept 40s arrived this morning, normally I’d reserve judgement until they’d had plenty of break in time as my 3050s had.
    Thing is the 40s were pretty stunning straight out of the box, now after 9 hours of continuous music play any difference from first playing is pretty tiny, maybe the bass is just a tad more taut after 9 hours but I wouldn’t swear to it. Having had a 2 month love affair with the Concept 20s I pretty well expected Concept 20 mids and highs and just more bass with the 40s, in all honesty I’d have been more than happy with that, but that would be selling the 40s short, the whole spectrum from top to bottom is better with the 40s, considering the same tweeter is used in both the 40s seem to have a little more treble than the 20s, that’s a plus in my book for someone my age (66 next month), they seem to have a bigger soundstage and more of a see through quality, the transient sharpness is probably the best I’ve ever heard, these things love electronica, played Homework by Daft Punk and the level of attack was staggering.
    They aren’t all attack, they do subtle beautifully as well rendering low level details extremely well.
    One or two reviews I read said they thought they were a little too laid back, makes me wonder what amp they used (they’re certainly not laid back with the CXA60)and if they bothered to make the effort to bi-wire them, probably not the latter, even though it really is worth doing.
    Very positive start for the 40s then, makes me wonder if there’s more to come, maybe.

I'm steve.

Just coming up to a month of ownership of the Concept 40s. Although In the first few days I didn’t think they appeared to change very much they are now (I believe) fully broken in and have improved noticeably from the very good level of SQ that they had straight out of the box to an altogether higher level, the main change has been in tightness of the bass and bass weight. I’ve struggled with bass boom problems before in my living room with lots of different speakers, with regard to this I can say without doubt the Concept 40s produce the best bass balance and control I’ve ever heard in my living room and good though the 3050s were their bass was rather bloated in comparison, the reworking of the Concept 20s drivers (larger voice coil and larger magnets) to suit the 40s has definitely paid dividends with bass speed and tightness. Any misgivings I may have had about spending more than double the amount I paid for the 3050 has proved to be totally justified, as, in my room at least they have definitely hit the sweet spot.

I'm inactive.

I've followed this thread with some interest Steve. You might remember that I shared your enthusiasm for Q-Acoustics speakers in earlier threads on AoS . I also had a pair of 2020i and was equally impressed by their performance. I was for a while toying with the idea of moving up to the 3050s, based on your positive experience, but in the end opted for a pair of Quad 22L floor standers instead (mainly because they were going very cheap locally = £200...)

I'm curious about your current set-up. I have a 'room with a bay' very similar to yours and initially had the floor standers in pretty much the same place as where you have yours. However, I suspected that they were not giving their most in that position .. a slight lack of definition overall and wooliness to the bass that I figured was down to deflected waves bouncing around the 'dish' curve of the bay window. I have since moved them to a side wall (see sketch below) and found that this to be a marked improvement - much better definition and more bass punch.

Just wondered if you had experienced anything similar or had tried them in any other part of the room?

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    I've followed this thread with some interest Steve. You might remember that I shared your enthusiasm for Q-Acoustics speakers in earlier threads on AoS . I also had a pair of 2020i and was equally impressed by their performance. I was for a while toying with the idea of moving up to the 3050s, based on your positive experience, but in the end opted for a pair of Quad 22L floor standers instead (mainly because they were going very cheap locally = £200...)

I'm curious about your current set-up. I have a 'room with a bay' very similar to yours and initially had the floor standers in pretty much the same place as where you have yours. However, I suspected that they were not giving their most in that position .. a slight lack of definition overall and wooliness to the bass that I figured was down to deflected waves bouncing around the 'dish' curve of the bay window. I have since moved them to a side wall (see sketch below) and found that this to be a marked improvement - much better definition and more bass punch.

Just wondered if you had experienced anything similar or had tried them in any other part of the room?

Tbh I’ve never tried speakers in any other position, my room layout is exactly the same as yours except the wall on the right when you’re facing the bay window has a chimney breast.
    Interesting that you have Quads now, I had some 11Ls about 12 years ago and couldn’t get on with them, I think Quad tuned them to try and get the most bass possible from the cabinet size and in doing so made them boomy except when they were in lots of free space. Where you have your speakers set up the 3050s would probably have needed the port bungs in place or the bass would have been a bit OTT. Not sure if ceiling height is a factor but my room has just short of 9’6” floor to ceiling, rather more than the norm I think, when I used the Concept 20s in the living room I don’t think the bay gave their bass any extra weight and there was certainly less bass than using them 8” from the back wall in the bedroom. The Concept 40s have I think hit the sweet spot for bass in my room, it’s very even and extends down to about 35hz, I tried them with the port bungs for the first time yesterday and the effect was less pronounced than with the 3050s probably due to the smaller bass drivers with bigger magnets being less constrained with the bungs in place.
    Shifting stuff around would be problematic as I had 3 sets of multi plug power sockets fitted to suit where all the gear is to remove the use of extension blocks, there are still lots of cables but much tidier.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567