+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Q Acoustics 3050 speaker

I'm steve.

Default Q Acoustics 3050 speaker

For the last few months I’ve been using a very inexpensive pair of speakers the Q Acoustics 2020i in a second tier system in the bedroom and have been quite astonished what good sound quality I’ve been getting from them, driven by a Yamaha AS501 amp. These speakers were recommended highly by a friend and at the price seemed like a no brainer buy. This is only QA speaker I’ve ever heard but checking out the rest of the QA range I came across the 3050 floorstanders which seem to be fantastic value at £389 from Richer Sounds, on investigating further they seem to have garnered a string of very positive reviews. I was wondering if there are any 3050 owners on the forum that could give some first hand insight as to how these speakers perform, particularly with regard to whether or not they are very critical of room positioning. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Location: Dutch now living in Milton Keynes in the United Kingdom

I'm Rob.

Hi Steve, I have the Q Acoustics 3050 speakers, I find that they are critical to the placement but that is nearly every speaker.
    I a quite satisfied with the 3080's when my friend Chris (Lerxt) heard the speakers he bought them too.
    For the price you get a lot for your money, I use a valve pre-amp and a Arcam Alpha 8 power amp and I am quit happy with the system, I found it aslo extremely important to have goot interconnects and speaker leads, I just ordered van Damme speaker cable to get a bit warmer sound , but I am very happy with the speakers they have good build quality too.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Tube View Post
    Hi Steve, I have the Q Acoustics 3050 speakers, I find that they are critical to the placement but that is nearly every speaker.
    I a quite satisfied with the 3080's when my friend Chris (Lerxt) heard the speakers he bought them too.
    For the price you get a lot for your money, I use a valve pre-amp and a Arcam Alpha 8 power amp and I am quit happy with the system, I found it aslo extremely important to have goot interconnects and speaker leads, I just ordered van Damme speaker cable to get a bit warmer sound , but I am very happy with the speakers they have good build quality too.
    Thanks for the reply Rob, I’d be interested to know what dimensions your room has and what you find is the optimum position particularly with regard to room boundaries ? Also do you use the port bungs ?

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    Thanks for the reply Rob, I’d be interested to know what dimensions your room has and what you find is the optimum position particularly with regard to room boundaries ? Also do you use the port bungs ?

Hi Steve my room is about 4 by 6 meters, my setup is not ideal as it is the living room i have the speakers about 25 centimetres from the wall slightly directed inwards but i think that the setup will be different for each room, Chris has a slight different setup. I never used the port bungs. The speakers come with a stabiliser that is setup at the front, but they are not very stable, i ordered a second set, but found they sound better if you adjust the spikes so they lean a bit backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Streaming music from macbook via usb, to a musical fidelity V90 dac, to a Nobsound ns-01P tube pre amp with jj ecc803s gold pin to poweramp arcam Alpha 8 power amp to Q Acoustics 3050 floor standers.
    Favourite music progressive rock.

I'm steve.

The speakers come with a stabiliser that is setup at the front, but they are not very stable, i ordered a second set, but found they sound better if you adjust the spikes so they lean a bit backwards.

From the photos I’ve seen the outrigger stabiliser is at the back of the speaker base, is it interchangeable and can go on the front ?

I'm Rob.

Yes it can go both sides, so I have one at the back an one at the front this wat they are extremely stable, and my spikes set at maximum hight at the front and minimum at the back.

I'm steve.

Yes it can go both sides, so I have one at the back an one at the front this wat they are extremely stable, and my spikes set at maximum hight at the front and minimum at the back.
    Sounds like a good idea, how much were the extra ones ?

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    Sounds like a good idea, how much were the extra ones ?

It is a while ago, I think it was £16 or something, it won’t break the bank

Streaming music from macbook via usb, to a musical fidelity V90 dac, to a Nobsound ns-01P tube pre amp with jj ecc803s gold pin to poweramp arcam Alpha 8 power amp to Q Acoustics 3050 floor standers.
    Favourite music progressive rock.

I'm steve.

It is a while ago, I think it was £16 or something, it won’t break the bank

I think they would probably be a good investment as my living room floor is a bit uneven, in fact with my home brewed Jordan VTLs I replaced the rectangular base with a much larger circular one and used 3 spikes which allowed for easier levelling and better stability.

I'm Chris.

Hi Steve,

I am pleased with mine too - for the price they are very good. One of mine broke a tweeter after 7 months though, but it was replaced under warranty. The connections at the rear are a bit fiddly too and don't like any of the banana plugs I have tried - they just fall out. I have run them bi-wired but now I don't bother as I can't hear the difference. I think Rob is bi-wiring and experimenting with different cables for hi and low.

I have mine about 25 cm away from the wall and toed in a bit - I didn't get a good soundstage otherwise (my amp's soundstage is not its strongest point). About 2.5 meters apart and a little further away to where I sit.

They are easy to drive and sound Ok when at low volume too. My room is about 6 x 5 m with thick carpet, curtains, sofa and bare plasterboard walls which does get boomy corners at certain frequencies. Not much else. I don't have to use the supplied bungs for the single rear vent.

I would say they are a tiny bit bright, nice mid-detail, a little clinical but quite nice authoritative lower end. When driven hard they don't seem to go flakey. I have run them with a bright amp though and it was awful. So, if you have a neutral-sounding amp you will be OK.

I paid about £550 so for £389 they are even better. I didn't like only the one stabiliser on each speaker so have two on each - the holes all match up, same screws. I only got that idea when I had to send the first set back - DPD had really smashed them up in transit, but I kept the first pair's stabilisers. So mine were free.

I have a concrete floor. They seem to stand solidly enough. Construction is chipboard covered in a (nice) laminate. A heavier construction would have been nice but for the price you can't expect everything.

They are quite tall at 1 meter, but that puts the drivers right at ear-level for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast