+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Wall Sockets

  1. #11
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 79,475
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Here's a wee pic, where you'll see the Furutech sockets and (mains plugs) in use on my mains block and digital noise filter:



    That was taken in 2012... Things have changed a little since then, as most of my kit is now hard-wired to the incoming mains supply (dedicated spur), so there are no longer any sonically detrimental 13A plugs or plug fuses.

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

    BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

  2. #12
    Join Date: May 2014

    Location: Solihull

    Posts: 370
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Moses View Post
    I'm having a electrician come in the next week or so to fit me some extra plug sockets. I want about four putting in for my system, I've read somewhere unswitched ones are the way to go.
    Any recommendations guys?
    Explore the possibility and the practicality (and cost) of a dedicated ring main or spur for your audio. I did and thought it a very worthwhile exercise
    NB you must consult a qualified electrician
    Russ Andrews produces an informative leaflet called "The Power and the Glory" which will tell you whats involved
    Tangerine LP12,Naim Aro, Benz Wood
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura & Elixir Dac,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP100 MC
    SiriuS D100
    Quad FM4,RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    HSM with re capped Mundorf Supreme and Atlas rewire
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

  3. #13
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 79,475
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Good advice, Martin, and I fully agree. However, unless you hard-wire, you'll still need some good quality wall sockets, preferably ones constructed and optimised for hi-fi purposes

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

    BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

  4. #14
    Join Date: May 2014

    Location: Solihull

    Posts: 370
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Good advice, Martin, and I fully agree. However, unless you hard-wire, you'll still need some good quality wall sockets, preferably ones constructed and optimised for hi-fi purposes

    Marco.
    Absoutely!

    This too re plugs and fuses.............

    I must share my most recent upgrade. My cables are from Cardas and Hovland.
    Recently I managed to get my hands on a Cardas Golden Power Cord but with a US mains plug.........the price was very right. I had intended that it should go on the DAC 1 but it proved to be too short.
    So I had a complete powercord change. The Golden Power went on to my Transport, a Cardas Cross onto the DAC and my Golden Cross onto my pre amp.
    So I sat back and listened.........nothing noticeable !!!!
    A couple of days later when all had settled a massive difference in detail retrieval, ambience and particularly low level details I had never heard.
    I cannot remember having such a SQ upgrade
    Some of this may be due to US plugs having no fuse but it certainly helped the ones and zeros
    Tangerine LP12,Naim Aro, Benz Wood
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura & Elixir Dac,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP100 MC
    SiriuS D100
    Quad FM4,RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    HSM with re capped Mundorf Supreme and Atlas rewire
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

  5. #15
    Join Date: Dec 2017

    Location: Manchester

    Posts: 164
    I'm John.

    Default

    I was looking a while back at the Russ Andrews sockets with an earth connection. Has anyone got any experience of these in comparison to the Furutech and Missing Link items already posted?

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  6. #16
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 79,475
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ovlov854 View Post
    I must share my most recent upgrade. My cables are from Cardas and Hovland.
    Recently I managed to get my hands on a Cardas Golden Power Cord but with a US mains plug.........the price was very right. I had intended that it should go on the DAC 1 but it proved to be too short.
    So I had a complete powercord change. The Golden Power went on to my Transport, a Cardas Cross onto the DAC and my Golden Cross onto my pre amp.
    So I sat back and listened.........nothing noticeable !!!!
    A couple of days later when all had settled a massive difference in detail retrieval, ambience and particularly low level details I had never heard.
    I cannot remember having such a SQ upgrade
    Some of this may be due to US plugs having no fuse but it certainly helped the ones and zeros
    I presume that you also changed the wall socket to US type, in order for said plug to fit?

    The removal of the 13A plug fuse is likely to have caused the greatest improvement, but also consider the effect of almost certainly having reduced contact resistance, as in my experience both US and European (Schuko) mains connectors offer a far securer/tighter and more optimal connection, with their respective sockets, than their UK counterparts.

    Don't neglect the IEC end, too... Often commercial mains leads will be fitted with no more than adequate, 'fit for purpose' (in an electrical sense only) IEC connectors. Their designs are governed by cost constraints. Upgrading to something, such as this, will have just as big a sonic effect, as you heard with things at the other end of the equation:

    https://mcru.co.uk/product/iego-pure...v=79cba1185463 Mark Grant currently has these for sale, see here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...al-offer-price

    It's not just about bypassing unnecessary (in the right context) fuses, but also ensuring that everything else in the power supply chain is optimised

    Contrary to what some think, cheap 'kettle leads' are not ideal for hi-fi use, and in my experience act as a severe bottle neck, musically, almost as much as plug fuses. Therefore, if you want to go the hardwired route, and remove fuses from the equation, make sure that you also hardwire in place a decent cable [one also optimised for hi-fi purposes]!

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

    BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

  7. #17
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 79,475
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Hi John,

    Quote Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
    I was looking a while back at the Russ Andrews sockets with an earth connection. Has anyone got any experience of these in comparison to the Furutech and Missing Link items already posted?
    I've used the RA ones in the past. They're ok, but if you're on a budget, then the Missing Link ones are better

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

    BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

  8. #18
    Join Date: Dec 2017

    Location: Manchester

    Posts: 164
    I'm John.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi John,



    I've used the RA ones in the past. They're ok, but if you're on a budget, then the Missing Link ones are better

    Marco.
    The RA ones are only a bit cheaper - 33 (first time I've ever used the word cheaper in connection with RA ). I liked the idea of the earth connection but I will take your advice re the Missing Link ones if they are better.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  9. #19
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 79,475
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Hi John,

    The ML sockets offer a tighter and more secure connection, and IMO are generally better made. If you want to experiment with earthing arrangements, and do the job properly, there are far more effective methods available than is offered by a simple terminal on a wall socket.

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

    BE HAPPY EVERYDAY!

  10. #20
    Join Date: Dec 2017

    Location: Manchester

    Posts: 164
    I'm John.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi John,

    The ML sockets offer a tighter and more secure connection, and IMO are generally better made. If you want to experiment with earthing arrangements, and do the job properly, there are far more effective methods available than is offered by a simple terminal on a wall socket.

    Marco.
    Thanks Marco. I will definitely get a ML socket then. I may also come back to you for advice on the earthing issue.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •