+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MC cartridge Options recommendations

I'm Geoff.

The most evenly balanced MC I've heard is the Technics EPC-305MC. No undue emphasis anywhere, but superbly detailed and very transparent. I kept mine for twenty years 'cos it beat all competition. When that came along, I sold my SPU, Decca Mk.IV and Londons. (kept the ADC's though )

They are like gold dust though. Nigh on impossible to find.

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The most evenly balanced MC I've heard is the Technics EPC-305MC. No undue emphasis anywhere, but superbly detailed and very transparent. I kept mine for twenty years 'cos it beat all competition. When that came along, I sold my SPU, Decca Mk.IV and Londons. (kept the ADC's though )

You've got me looking

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK5 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: NONE
    Amplification: Nelson Pass DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Krell KSA100 MK2 Amplifier
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & NEW SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

I'm Oliver.

Still got it?

Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK5 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Amplification: Nelson Pass DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Krell KSA100 MK2 Amplifier
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & NEW SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable

I'm Geoff.

Oh. And if you spot one of these or the MC202. You'd probably really enjoy what it can do. I had a couple and thought they were very nice indeed.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Still got it?
    Nope.

I'm Oliver.

Nope.
    Ah,

There are many FR carts that are any good?

I'm Geoff.

You've got me looking
    You might get one from Japan, but I think they are likely to command daft prices these days. Jez Arkless has the aluminium cantilever version, the EPC-310MC. The 305 has Boron.

I'm Oliver.

You might get one from Japan, but I think they are likely to command daft prices these days. Jez Arkless has the aluminium cantliever version, the EPC-310MC. The 305 has Boron.
    Hmm, I'll have a look.

I'm Geoff.

There are many FR carts that are any good?
    They never made a bad one as far as I know. I've owned two MC201's and thought they sounded great.

I'm Tom.

They never made a bad one as far as I know. I've owned two MC201's and thought they sounded great.
    I've owned quite a few FR cartridges, they can come across a bit dull if not carefully matched for SUT.
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers with Tannoy ST25 supertweeters; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 9 inch and Ikeda IT-407 12 inch tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Takumi, Ikeda 9TT, SAEC/Excel C3; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912 + Miyajima ETR-Mono SUT; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Pass Aleph 'Mini'; tube preamp - Gate Audio tube; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 Mk I tonearm and vintage Ortofon SL-15e with matching Ortofon 2-15k SUT; Phono Stage from Gate Audio preamp; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast