+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New, ‘Old setup’

I'm Marc.

Default New, ‘Old setup’

Hi everyone.
    I have dug out my old hi fi gear from years ago.
    To cut a long story short, I have aquired my late dads Duel510 turn table it is in mint condition I found the oryginal perspexcover in the loft it’s been there 20 years & I don’t think it’s seen any use in that time needed a clean it all works fine except the strobe lamp which is not aluminating.
    As there has been a bit of a vynyl revival as late I thought I would put it togeather with my old gear.........
    Duel 510
    Nad3130 amp
    Dennon CD player
    I will need some speakers so I’m hoping for some recommendations here I used to have some Haybrook HB2 & still havethe stands but I don’t think Haybrook are still around.
    Also hoping the strobe lamp or an alternitive it I’ve is still available ?
    I would appreciate any comments on this system or how it can be improved built apon it would be nice to go a bit hi tech aswell & link my iPad/iPhone into the system aswell ,any advice here
    & any online /shops for vynyl records etc,
    As you can appreciate I’m a bit out of touch
    So need plenty of advice
    Cheers Marc.

I'm Geoff.

I expect somebody will know what parts you may need for the Dual turntable strobe.

As for speakers, it may help if you let people know what budget you have for this and if you want to consider used speakers, new, or both.

I'm Martin.

Strobe lamp will more than likely just need a new bulb. Dig it out and see what type it is, you should be able to get one on-line.

If you fancy going back to the Heybrooks you can buy a second-hand pair of HB2, they come up for sale quite often. You'll need a cartridge for the Dual? Or at least change the stylus for a new one.

Otherwise you have the basics of a good system already. Happy listening
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Hi Marc.

If you go on Vinyl Engine forum about your Dual or Dualfred in Germany will have the information you need. There will be a service manual for it somewhere online and you order the bulb or equivalant.

There is still a great parts service for Dual turntables.

You will have a lot of fun with and older system and it gives you a good basis for what you wiill be after in future.
    All the best with it
    Martin

I'm Marc.

Hi guys
    Thanks for your comments, I’m loving this forum already.
    I should have mentioned I have the duel 510 user manual & have seen the service manual online, I will resource the strobe parts.
    As for speakers Iv really no idea what would sound good on a retro system such as this I’ll keep an eye out on some Haybrooks but would they sound good? as for budget I don’t want to spend a fortune on what is essentially a cost free hi fi aquirement but i was thinking maybe £100 + or - any sugestions?
    As for the stylus/ cartridge there is one fitted no idea what it is only the it has the marking on the front A within a circle & MP20 underneath , & it’s white sorry I can’t be more spacific. Any ideas? Should do for now.

I'm Geoff.

Should be a Nagoaka cartridge with MP20 on it. Post a photo and we can say for sure. If it is a Nagoaka, it'll be worth putting a new stylus on. They're decent enough cartridges and the MP20 is suited to that deck.

I'm Martin.

if it is an MP20 replacement styli are a bit pricey http://www.musonic.co.uk/index.php?m...ducts_id=10063
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Should be a Nagoaka cartridge with MP20 on it. Post a photo and we can say for sure. If it is a Nagoaka, it'll be worth putting a new stylus on. They're decent enough cartridges and the MP20 is suited to that deck.
    Having done a few google searches following your info it is indeed a Nagoaka MP20 i dont think it’s seen much use not in the last 20 years at least so I’m reluctant to change it unless there is a problem with it what I really need is a pair of speakers so I can test it all out, & a new record colection��
    What is your opinion on warfdale diamond 9.1 for starters at around £100 no idea if there any good really reviews seem ok it’s about what I’m willing to pay at the moment could I do better.

+ Reply to Thread