+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sky Soundbox

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Andy.

Default Sky Soundbox

Took the plunge and ordered one on Tuesday evening.
    Arrived on Thursday morning so plumbed in, powered up and listened too.

Guess what - sent back today!!!

The bass is so powerful it floods everything out - even when the volume is low, the bass is overpowering.
    Tried it in different positions and with different things underneath it to no avail.
    You cannot alter any of the settings on the unit at all so decided it's not for me.

Anyone else used or tried one and managed to get on with it?
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Martin.

You can change the setting to 'late night' or similar which reduces the bass.

Still not going to be as good as a decent pair of speakers and an amplifier. I don't really understand soundbars at all. Lets introduce a massive compromise by jamming everything into a little box, then use technology to try and make it sound half-decent.

If you have to have a soundbar due to WAF or something look for the Cambridge Audio one. One of my brothers has one and it sounds acceptable.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You can change the setting to 'late night' or similar which reduces the bass.

Still not going to be as good as a decent pair of speakers and an amplifier. I don't really understand soundbars at all. Lets introduce a massive compromise by jamming everything into a little box, then use technology to try and make it sound half-decent.

If you have to have a soundbar due to WAF or something look for the Cambridge Audio one. One of my brothers has one and it sounds acceptable.
    Can only set to 'late night' if you have a Sky Q box, which I don't!!!

Correct, reduction of boxes and WAF and I have hear'd some sound bars which are very good indeed.........
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Network Player.
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    HeadPhones.

I'm Martin.

I didn't realise about the Q box thing. Oh well. You'd think they would put some adjustable EQ on the thing, even if it was just to adjust bottom and top a bit.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Andy.

No problem - I too thought of some basic adjustments but nothing!!
    When I spoke to Sky about returning and the reason why, no hesitation from the guy so have a feeling that they get a lot sent back.

On the look out now for something else - do like the sound of the SONOS Soundbar/Soundbase but a bit too rich for me (have a PLAY:1 up in the bedroom which we do like).
    The Soundbox was good as it wasn't full width so worked well on the TV stand so would preferably like something similar in size....... or, should I just build something?
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Network Player.
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    HeadPhones.

I'm James.

A mate had a Sonos sound bar for a bit but swapped it for a cheaper and better , to my ears anyway, Yamaha ysp1400
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by gninnam View Post
    ....... or, should I just build something?
    If you can then do it. DIY soundbar, not sure I have come across one before. Would be an interesting project.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Andy.

Not the time to build at the mo (and the tinny TV sound was doing my head in!)
    Bought the Sonos Soundbase and so far so good (already have a Play:1 in the bedroom).
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Network Player.
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    HeadPhones.