Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New version of the ALLO BOSS is here

I'm allo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    That would be really cool
    hey guys...
    https://allo.com/sparky/acrylic-case...-isolator.html

pics will come soon.

let me know who needs them i will arrange.
    regards,
    Andre

I'm Simon.

I've been shutting down Volumio since I flashed it the first time and been using it for about 2 years now. Never had a corrupt SD card. When going into the shutdown > Power off mode, the loading circular icon comes up and very rarely stops until the page times out. What happens for me is that my external drive turns itself off after about 30 secs and then a few seconds later the green LED on the Pi flickers a few times and then turns off. Once that goes off, it's safe to turn off as it's not reading/processing anything anymore.
    Last edited by Simon_LDT; 21-02-2018 at 12:04.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiohdwr View Post
    hi there.
    what are you comparing the BOSS to?
    BOSS is all about dynamics and burning it in will open up even more!
    looking forward to your follow up comments in a few days.

cheers
    Hi Andre
    Before I discovered the BOSS I auditioned a Naim Unity Star, a Bluesound Node 2 and an Auralic Aries. I liked the Naim, apart from the price! The Bluesound was good when streaming from NAS but sound via USB was poor. The demo wasn't going well because the shop was having network problems so we never got to the bottom of that. The Auralic kept stopping and re-setting, possibly because of the network issue, so was impossible to assess. I was on the point of trying to audition a Cambridge Audio CXN at Richer Sounds when I read about the BOSS and decided to give it a go, largely on the grounds of cost I must admit.
    I had been impressed by a Cyrus XT Signature CD transport, but wondered if streaming was the future and wanted to see how it compared with CD. I'm still unsure, and my wife is unconvinced by streaming; because she's not interested in or biased by technical information I take the opinions of her "innocent ears" as a useful check to my enthusiasm!
    Once I get over my lingering 'flu I'll do some more serious listening and report back.

I'm Rob.

Well, I tried some more listening today, but I'm very much feeling I'd like to send the BOSS Player back. Okay, the hardware seems to work now, but Volumio just won't do what I want. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to play the tracks of an album in sequence, but Volumio will only play one track at a time. Sometimes it then repeats the same track, sometimes it jumps to a track not in the album, sometimes it just stops. I can access the tracks in Library; Albums shows the albums and their tracks but won't play from the large Play button to the right of the album title.
    It can't be my files, because the albums played through normally on the "proper" streamers I tried, and even work with Viera Tools/Music on my TV.
    Is there an alternative OS that works?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanky View Post
    Well, I tried some more listening today, but I'm very much feeling I'd like to send the BOSS Player back. Okay, the hardware seems to work now, but Volumio just won't do what I want. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to play the tracks of an album in sequence, but Volumio will only play one track at a time. Sometimes it then repeats the same track, sometimes it jumps to a track not in the album, sometimes it just stops. I can access the tracks in Library; Albums shows the albums and their tracks but won't play from the large Play button to the right of the album title.
    It can't be my files, because the albums played through normally on the "proper" streamers I tried, and even work with Viera Tools/Music on my TV.
    Is there an alternative OS that works?
    I think you need to read how to use Volumio. If you want to play a whole album you select play at the album level rather than the track level. If you select play track, it will do that: play one track. If you want to play multiple tracks then make a playlist.

I can understand if you do not like Volumio, but the problems you refer to are because you have not taken the time to learn how it works and not because of inherent problems with the OS.

When it jumps to another track it is because that is in the previously selected queue.

Geoff

I'm Rob.

So where can I find a basic beginner's guide to using Volumio? I agree that's what I need, but all the instructions I've found so far are about setup and modifications. The implication seems to be that actually using it is intuitive.
    As for "selecting play at the album level", I guessed that might be what I wanted so I tried it, but as I said "Albums" shows the albums and their tracks but won't play from the large Play button to the right of the album title (in list view).
    I'm familiar with playlists from iTunes though it's not something I use a lot. Useful for selecting odd tracks off a compilation, but mostly I just want to play an album through from start to finish. Do you mean I have to make a playlist to play a whole album?
    The Queue menu is puzzling to me, I don't know what it's for, and it seems to populate itself randomly without any conscious input from me. But maybe Queue is the key to doing anything with Volumio?

I'm Barry.

Selecting the White arrow works for me, but check you have not got the Random play icon selected. If you have more then one album by the artist, click on the 3 dots to the right of the album and select clear and play, check random play icon is not on in queue view.
    Last edited by Kit1cat; 22-02-2018 at 10:41.

I'm Geoff.

So where can I find a basic beginner's guide to using Volumio? I agree that's what I need, but all the instructions I've found so far are about setup and modifications. The implication seems to be that actually using it is intuitive.
    As for "selecting play at the album level", I guessed that might be what I wanted so I tried it, but as I said "Albums" shows the albums and their tracks but won't play from the large Play button to the right of the album title (in list view).
    I'm familiar with playlists from iTunes though it's not something I use a lot. Useful for selecting odd tracks off a compilation, but mostly I just want to play an album through from start to finish. Do you mean I have to make a playlist to play a whole album?
    The Queue menu is puzzling to me, I don't know what it's for, and it seems to populate itself randomly without any conscious input from me. But maybe Queue is the key to doing anything with Volumio?
    It is straightforward. In the browse menu you can access your music files at the artist, album or track level. At each level you will see three dots, vertically arranged, in the top right hand corner. Tap once on this and it will reveal a drop down menu of all your playback options including the creation and editing of playlists.

Geoff

I'm Rob.

Yes, it should be straightforward but I still can't make it all work.

I've had some success in that I can sometimes play an album from lower down in the Music Library (see last paragraph) by selecting Play from the three dot menu. I notice that this automatically adds all the tracks to the Queue. If I tap the waste basket icon at the top of the queue list it clears the queue and the music stops, so as I suspected the queue seems to be at the heart of how Volumio (and other streaming software, possibly) works. But some albums just won't work and don't appear on the queue.

However, if I go into Albums, there's a list of the same albums as in Music Library, each with three dots at the end of the line. So I choose the same album I did in Music Library album and select Play: nothing happens. If I select Add to queue, nothing happens. Same with Clear and play.
    If I tap on the album name a list opens of all the tracks on the album, with the album art and title in a wider line at the top. At the right hand end of this line is a large white Play arrow. If I tap this it turns green but nothing else happens. Nothing is happening under Playback, and the queue is empty. Sometimes a red error message appears saying "Failed to decode" and a lot else besides, with underneath a green message saying play has started (but it hasn't.) What am I missing here? I suspect it's something to do with the queue. It would seem to be the obvious way to play an album if it worked.

So for me at the moment the three dot menu appears to be all that works, sometimes, but frustratingly it's not fully visible for the first four items on the Music Library or Albums list because the upper part of the menu, including the Play button, is hidden under the bar which has the Search box on it and can't be dragged down. Is this something that can be fixed? Without it there's no way these items can be played as things stand.

I'm Geoff.

Yes, it should be straightforward but I still can't make it all work.

I've had some success in that I can sometimes play an album from lower down in the Music Library (see last paragraph) by selecting Play from the three dot menu. I notice that this automatically adds all the tracks to the Queue. If I tap the waste basket icon at the top of the queue list it clears the queue and the music stops, so as I suspected the queue seems to be at the heart of how Volumio (and other streaming software, possibly) works. But some albums just won't work and don't appear on the queue.

However, if I go into Albums, there's a list of the same albums as in Music Library, each with three dots at the end of the line. So I choose the same album I did in Music Library album and select Play: nothing happens. If I select Add to queue, nothing happens. Same with Clear and play.
    If I tap on the album name a list opens of all the tracks on the album, with the album art and title in a wider line at the top. At the right hand end of this line is a large white Play arrow. If I tap this it turns green but nothing else happens. Nothing is happening under Playback, and the queue is empty. Sometimes a red error message appears saying "Failed to decode" and a lot else besides, with underneath a green message saying play has started (but it hasn't.) What am I missing here? I suspect it's something to do with the queue. It would seem to be the obvious way to play an album if it worked.

So for me at the moment the three dot menu appears to be all that works, sometimes, but frustratingly it's not fully visible for the first four items on the Music Library or Albums list because the upper part of the menu, including the Play button, is hidden under the bar which has the Search box on it and can't be dragged down. Is this something that can be fixed? Without it there's no way these items can be played as things stand.
    The queue is simply that: a list of items that you have previously selected for play. As you add new items to play these are added to the queue, until you choose to delete individual tracks or the whole queue. Sounds as if there is something screwed up with your display. However, you might try using the alternative folder view option on the browse menu (the third icon from the left showing 9 boxes in a 3by3 layout).

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast