+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New toy

I'm Tom.

Great cartridges, I had the Jubilee from this series, I think the B equates to the Cadenza Blue which is the nicest I've heard of the Cadenza series that followed it.

Ortofon have a few available in their 'treasure trove' of refurbished trade-ins - slightly too high compliance for my setup but ideal for many https://www.ortofon.com/mc-kontrapun...d-p-668-n-3450
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers with Tannoy ST25 supertweeters; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 9 inch and Ikeda IT-407 12 inch tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Takumi, Ikeda 9TT, SAEC/Excel C3; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0, Edison '78' 4.0 conical, and Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912 + Miyajima ETR-Mono SUT; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Pass Aleph 'Mini'; tube preamp - Gate Audio tube; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 Mk I tonearm and vintage Ortofon SL-15e with matching Ortofon 2-15k SUT; Phono Stage from Gate Audio preamp; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink.

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Great cartridges, I had the Jubilee from this series, I think the B equates to the Cadenza Blue which is the nicest I've heard of the Cadenza series that followed it.

Ortofon have a few available in their 'treasure trove' of refurbished trade-ins - slightly too high compliance for my setup but ideal for many https://www.ortofon.com/mc-kontrapun...d-p-668-n-3450
    Thanks for the info Tom. I agree, very good cartridge.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK5 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: NONE
    Amplification: Nelson Pass DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Krell KSA100 MK2 Amplifier
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & NEW SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post

I was somewhat surprised but delighted to find out that the Kontrapunkt B does in fact work very well at the end of my FR-64S, defying the mathematics which indicates a combined resonant frequency that would typically be considered to be too low. But, it works!

I'm James.

Looks nice Oli. Quite a classic. How does it sound in your system?
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Looks nice Oli. Quite a classic. How does it sound in your system?
    It sounds completely revealing and provides the wide soundstage i like. Big praise but only matched by the Ortofon Vienna. I'm sure the Vienna has a bit more bite but overall it's a great cartridge and could easily live with it forever. It delivers the natural resonance of strings in a way I've not heard since the Vienna. The Kontrapunt and Vienna are the best carts I've ever heard. Vienna 1st, Kontrapunt 2nd by a gnats knacker.

I'd love it to Boogie, just a tad more but that's being hyper critical.

Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 MK5 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Bigbottle Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Amplification: Nelson Pass DCB1 with Khozmo 48 Step Series Attenuator & Krell KSA100 MK2 Amplifier
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables & NEW SPOTFIRE Tonearm cable

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    It sounds completely revealing and provides the wide soundstage i like. Big praise but only matched by the Ortofon Vienna. I'm sure the Vienna has a bit more bite but overall it's a great cartridge and could easily live with it forever. It delivers the natural resonance of strings in a way I've not heard since the Vienna. The Kontrapunt and Vienna are the best carts I've ever heard. Vienna 1st, Kontrapunt 2nd by a gnats knacker.

I'd love it to Boogie, just a tad more but that's being hyper critical.

Sounds like a keeper. What is the stylus profile on the Kontrapunt B?
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Sounds like a keeper. What is the stylus profile on the Kontrapunt B?
    FG80 it does a great job.

I'm Buriedunderaloadofturntables.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    What do you use now?

I recently bought a secondhand MC Jubilee because Iíve always fancied one, and itís superb. However, Iíve actually been using a Clearaudio MC Essence since the summer when I reviewed it, and this has proved a real eye-opener. Iíve always rated Clearaudioís cartridges but this is a real giant killer.
    Adam.

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I recently bought a secondhand MC Jubilee because Iíve always fancied one, and itís superb. However, Iíve actually been using a Clearaudio MC Essence since the summer when I reviewed it, and this has proved a real eye-opener. Iíve always rated Clearaudioís cartridges but this is a real giant killer.
    Oooh. I hadn't considered a Clear audio.

I'm Geoff.

I don't know why, but whenever Clearaudio cartridges are mentioned. Brinkmann spring to mind. Daft I guess!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast