+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Annoying Hum from Amplifier

I'm Tony.

Default Annoying Hum from Amplifier

Recently had the Alps pot and a service done on my Audio Analogue Puccini SE (non remote version). When checking out the amp before bringing it home, I listened to in an audition room hooked up to a pair of Harbeth monitors and all seemed great.

On getting home, I basically just swapped it over with the emergency backup amp I was using (an even older Rotel RA-903AX), which to be fair had been doing a great job up til that point.
    Right from powering on, I noticed a buzzing hum coming from both speakers that got louder when the volume was turned up.

I then went about a series of tests to see what might be causing the issue:-
    • Tried all of the inputs - hum still there!
    • Tied unplugging all devices except loudspeakers and power - still there!
    • Swapped mains cable and socket - still there!
    • Tried different set of speakers - still there!

Apart from the annoying hum, the amp sounds great, it's just noticeably distracting even when quiet music is playing.
    Scratching my head on this one as I don't think it's a ground loop or earthing issue and the other amp works fine?

Going to test it again tonight but wondered if anyone on here has any ideas before I take it back to the guys who serviced it (who, I have to say, seem very competent and helpful)?
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Grant.

could also be emi or rf being picked up from other appliances and cables. grounding is another place to look
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    Right from powering on, I noticed a buzzing hum coming from both speakers that got louder when the volume was turned up.

I then went about a series of tests to see what might be causing the issue:-
    • Tried all of the inputs - hum still there!
    • Tied unplugging all devices except loudspeakers and power - still there!
    • Swapped mains cable and socket - still there!
    • Tried different set of speakers - still there!

Humming and buzzing are two very different things - at least to me - and suggest different problems. The fact that it gets louder as the volume is increased rules out a lot of possible problems.

However, there's probably no point going into a lot of detail as what tests to do in what order - it's just been "serviced" and come back with a fault. Get them to fix it.
    Last edited by RothwellAudio; 04-12-2017 at 15:48.

I'm nigel.

As above...if the problem remains with all sources disconnected, it must be in the amplifier.

Just for peace of mind though, before contacting the servicer i'd unplug and move the amp to a seperate outlet....as I learnt to my cost recently, WiFi modems and the like can cause some unusual effects with sensitive input stages.....in my case a tube pre.
    Oh what fun I had tracking that one down.

Good luck.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by sumday View Post
    As above...if the problem remains with all sources disconnected, it must be in the amplifier.

Just for peace of mind though, before contacting the servicer i'd unplug and move the amp to a seperate outlet....as I learnt to my cost recently, WiFi modems and the like can cause some unusual effects with sensitive input stages.....in my case a tube pre.
    Oh what fun I had tracking that one down.

Good luck.
    Yep, that's the plan tonight before I take it back. Going to move to a different location and socket away from everything and just check. If still the same, I won't have any niggles when I take it back in.
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Dave.

If it has come back from a service with this problem, I would suggest you return it to whoever did the service.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    If it has come back from a service with this problem, I would suggest you return it to whoever did the service.
    Will be doing that Dave, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a numpty error on my behalf before I lose the use of it again for a few days.

I'm Dave.

If you are using it in the same system as previously and you've changed nothing with the wiring etc, it is most likely a fault with the recently serviced amp and should have been fixed.

I'm Tony.

Just got my amp back and it’s sounding sweet again. Problem was a grounding resistor that had gone open circuit. All sorted and tested with two different sets of speakers. Looking forward to giving the Allo Boss a proper listen now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread